Young Watling Tyres worker killed by exploding tyre
Thursday 2nd June 2016
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Watling Tyres employee Matthew Hoare was repairing a puncture on a loading shovel's tyre when the accident happened.
The Health and Safety Executive's (HSE) investigation found that Hoare was working alone and using equipment that had not been properly maintained. He was not trained or competent to carry out the task.
After already pleading guilty to breaching Section 2(1) and Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act at a hearing on 29 January, Watling Tyres was yesterday fined and ordered to pay costs of £99,485.
Matthew Hoare, a mobile tyre fitter for Watling Tyre Services (read previous story from earlier this month), was sent out alone to repair the puncture on a wheel of a loading shovel at brick maker Hammill Brick in Kent. He was carrying out a plug repair, when the 1.4 m-diameter tyre failed and exploded.
The employee sustained burns to his chest and legs on 12 October 2013 when he opened a faulty valve which emitted high pressure steam. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that SPG was aware of the fault but failed to ensure appropriate steps were taken to either repair the valve or take it out of use. SPG was fined £1.75m after pleading guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act.
As we reported last week the employee was attempting to close the drain valve at Longannet Power Station in Alloa, when it opened unexpectedly, releasing high-pressure steam. He sustained burns to his chest and legs.The HSE found that though SPG was aware of the fault, it failed to ensure appropriate steps were taken to either repair the valve or take it out of use.
The Nick Brookes Recycling employee was working on an infeed conveyor which transfers waste brought by skip wagons onto a picking line. On 8 August 2013 he was dragged into the conveyor and his right arm had to be amputated up to his shoulder. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told Chester Crown Court that the conveyor belt was in extremely poor condition, jammed frequently, and was not guarded. Workers were not sufficiently informed, trained or supervised.
The Haydens Bakery worker’s ring finger required partial amputation after the 3 March 2015 accident. The Health and Safety Executive found that the company had modified the machine by adding a securing clip to a rotating shaft but failed to identify and address the additional risk created.
On 20 December 2014, Muhammed Zohaib Yasin was observing another employee carrying out repair work on a Vauxhall Corsa.Yasin was at the front of the car adding antifreeze to the engine, when the mechanic he was working with opened the driver’s door and turned on the ignition. The vehicle shot forward trapping and crushing the 27-year-old.An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the car had no defects but it had been left in gear with the handbrake off.