From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Carlisle Magistrates' Court was told that a Bells of Lazonby employee lost the top of his middle finger on his right hand on 26 January 2016 after it caught the moving blade of a dough dividing machine.
Two months later, on 29 March, another worker was hurt when his left index finger came into contact with the cutting jaws of packaging equipment.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said the two accidents would not have occurred if Bells of Lazonby had equipped its machinery with the right guarding.
The Beckett’s Foods employee was loading meat at the company’s Moat House site in Coventry on 11 May 2016. He fell into the machine and sustained serious injuries to his hand, which needed skin grafts. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found there was no safe system of work for using the meat separating equipment, which Beckett’s had not fitted with the appropriate level of guarding. It pleaded guilty to breaching s 2(1) and 33(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act at Coventry Magistrates’ Court and was ordered to pay costs of £10,978.
If Electricity North West had planned the operation properly and supervised the safe clearance of the ivy, 63-year-old John Flowers would not have needed to use a ladder to climb the wooden pole to cut away the vegetation. It is believed that, trying to chop through the heavy plant growth, Flowers accidentally severed a lanyard securing his harness to the pole and fell around 6 m.
Driver John Murray, who was employed by a logistics company, was collecting packages at an Aer Lingus cargo warehouse at the airport on 5 November 2014. He fell from a loading bay and died of head trauma some days later. The airline failed to apply its own procedure, the Central Criminal Court was told, which required drivers to enter and leave the warehouse via stairs and a doorway adjacent to the loading bay.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that Coldmac had failed to ensure that the guarding on the machine was safe.Nuneaton Magistrates’ Court heard this week how the North Lincolnshire construction firm had appointed specialist contractors for a new footway. On 8 April 2015, the worker was using a screwdriver to scrape asphalt residue off a mixer that he had been using. When the screwdriver suddenly slipped, his hand caught the lip of the mixer and lost his middle and index fingers.
Forty-nine-year-old employee Parvez Ahmed was left fighting for his life when an unstable stack of cardboard bales, weighing around 400kg, tumbled over and landed on him as he was carrying out work at the firm’s recycling site on 22 April 2016. Ahmed suffered a cracked skull and a brain haemorrhage.Arrow Recycling of Premier Works, Cornwall Road, Smethwick, West Midlands pleaded guilty to breaching reg 10(4) of the Work at Height Regulations 2005 and was sentenced at Wolverhampton Magistrates’ last week. The company was also ordered to pay £2,917 in costs.
Jacek Adamowicz, 29, worked at Hitchen Foods, which is owned by Bakkavor Group. On 4 February 2015 he was sweeping the storage yard when a stack of plastic bales collapsed on top of him. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Bakkavor Foods had failed to plan how the bales should be safely stacked and stored, and had not provided formal training for employees who were responsible for carrying out the task.