From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
During the March 2018 incident, a worker for Build Northland was installing attic trusses in the garage of a residential property in Whangarei when a bundle of upright standing trusses came loose and fell towards him. The trusses struck the aluminium plank the worker was standing on causing him to fall to the ground.
Whangarei District Court was told the company had failed to ensure appropriate controls were in place for the safe installation of the attic trusses.
Build Northland had identified the hazard of working at height and the risk it posed of serious injury or death, but did not provide enough details of the equipment required to safely carry out the installation.
"The hazards and risks associated with working at height are well known and controls to manage these risks are readily available," said WorkSafe's chief inspector Hayden Mander.
"This is a reminder that even a fall from a height of less than two metres can have devastating consequences."
The director of a solar panel company in Worcestershire has been ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work and to pay costs of £15,000 after his brother fell to his death while installing solar panels.
Results from the first industry benchmarking exercise against the Thriving at Work Report standards have found that less than two-thirds of businesses in the highways sector are routinely monitoring their workforce’s mental health and wellbeing.
Unique Envelope Façade Solutions has been fined £20,160 after failing to protect its self-employed workers from the risk of a cable strike explosion or electrocution while carrying out repairs at a site in Coventry.