*UPDATE* Jail term for director after fireball burned worker
Monday 20th February 2017
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that David Gordon Stead, director of Stead Construction Services (SCS), had failed to ensure that waste material was burned safely. On 28 May 2015, Bradley Rossiter was instructed to stand on top of a skip and pour a drum of flammable thinners onto the burning waste to aid the burning process.
The HSE found that the thinner ignited and created a fireball, which blew Rossiter from the skip, inflicting substantial burns to his arms and legs. Following the incident, Stead did not give the worker first aid nor did he send him to hospital. He also ignored a legal requirement to inform the HSE of the accident, which was only reported sometime later by a third party.
Stead did not co-operate with the HSE investigation and also argued SCS had closed and was no longer able to trade. SCS and a second construction company, Quality Builders (Pontypridd) are listed at Companies House as being dissolved. However, investigating officers found that Stead was listed as being director of a third company, DS Quality Construction Services, which is still actively trading.
The case was first heard at Merthyr Tydfil Magistrates' Court on 4 January 2017 where Stead made an early guilty plea to breaching section 37 of the Health and Safety at Work Act and section 4(1) of the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR).
Passed for sentencing at Cardiff Crown Court on 6 February 2017, Judge Jeremy Jenkins took into account the fact that neither Rossiter nor another worker present had received any training. He also noted that Stead's employer's liability insurance had lapsed and had not been renewed and that the effect of the injuries on the young worker had been profound. Judge Jenkins said: "The fact that you didn't phone for an ambulance was unforgivable".
He determined that Stead's culpability was very high, and the harm fell in Category 2 -- as the incident resulted in "physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term effect on the sufferer's ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities".
Judge Jenkins imposed a 32-week prison sentence, which took into account Stead's early guilty plea. The director was taken into immediate custody to serve his sentence concurrently with half served on release under licence. The judge also disqualified him from being a company director for seven years. No compensation or costs were awarded but Stead was required to pay a £140 victim surcharge.
Roy Cross, the owner of Roofcraft, was repairing the roof of Mount Murray Hotel and Country Club’s accommodation block, which included replacing lead sheets with fibreglass in the roof valleys. Cross and two of his employees had stripped some of the lead and were laying flammable fibreglass resin onto plywood sheets in the valley on 6 November 2013 when it started to rain. Work was halted for the day and the area was covered to keep it dry.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that David Gordon Stead, of Mildred Street, Beddau, had failed to ensure that the burning of waste material was being carried out safely. On the day of the incident, a young worker was instructed to stand on top of a skip and pour a drum of flammable thinners onto the burning waste to aid the burning process.
Neil Rothnie outlined his concerns after reading the findings from a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) report into the Elgin offshore rig, run by Total E&P UK and situated 240 km east of Aberdeen.The industry expert says the report had revealed problems with high-pressure gas leaks on the rig since 2001 and repeated failures to deal with the risks.
The workplace fatality rate of 1.9 per 100,000 workers remained unchanged from 2015, according to the Workplace Safety and Health (WSH) Institute’s 2016 National Statistics Report. Sixty six people were killed at work in 2016 – the same number that was recorded in 2015. The number of confirmed occupational disease cases decreased last year, from 965 in 2015 to 732.
Updated statistics – which are released every six months – show that the average lump sum payment made through the scheme between April and September 2016 was around £141,000, up from £135,000 in 2015/16.The DWP describes the scheme as a “last resort” for those who contracted the disease due to negligent exposure to asbestos in the workplace on or after 25 July 2012, and are unable to claim compensation because the employer no longer exists and its insurer is untraceable.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that the worker inadvertently drove his straddle carrier, a vehicle used in the port terminal for stacking and moving freight and shipping containers, into a large excavation on 16 November 2014.