From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
On 16 November 2018, a 23-year-old employee of S Higgins Construction was assisting with the preparations for the construction of a concrete reinforced wall at McClure Farm in Coleraine. During this work, a large metal shuttering panel fell onto the employee as he was working close to its base. The worker sustained numerous fractures and injuries as a result of the panel falling on to him.
A Health and Safety Executive (NI) investigation revealed that the shuttering panel was not properly secured to prevent it falling over.
Richard McClure, a farmer trading as McClure Farms, was fined £10,000 after pleading guilty to Article 4(1) of the Health and Safety at Work (Northern Ireland) Order and reg 13 of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (NI), while S Higgins Construction admitted breaching the same Article, as well as reg 19 of the CDM NI Regulations. He was also fined £10,000.
"All construction work needs to be properly planned," warned Kevin Campbell, an inspector with HSENI's construction team after the hearing. "Farmers must engage contractors with appropriate skill, knowledge and experience, and all work must be carried out in a safe manner. All temporary supports, such as shuttering panels, must be adequately supported and secured, to prevent them falling over."
Results from the first industry benchmarking exercise against the Thriving at Work Report standards have found that less than two-thirds of businesses in the highways sector are routinely monitoring their workforce’s mental health and wellbeing.
Unique Envelope Façade Solutions has been fined £20,160 after failing to protect its self-employed workers from the risk of a cable strike explosion or electrocution while carrying out repairs at a site in Coventry.
The former bosses of an Indian restaurant in the West Midlands have been handed suspended prison sentences and the company fined £175,000 after a chef suffered serious burns from a dangerous tandoor oven.