Two contractors fined after worker severely burned by 11kV power line
Thursday 27th October 2016
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Norwich Crown Court was told that contract farming company L F Papworth and T W Page & Son, a water supply engineer that serves Norfolk and Suffolk, were working in the Norfolk village of Felmingham, drilling boreholes for crop irrigation.
T. W. Page employee Jonathan Howes was operating the controls of a lorry-mounted drilling rig on 29 April 2014. His co-worker moved the lorry and this caused the drilling rig's mast to strike an 11kV overhead power line.
Howes sustained life-changing injuries, including burns to his scalp, arms, legs and feet. He also lost two toes.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that neither company had taken effective precautions to prevent work equipment, including the mast of the drilling rig, from coming into contact with overhead power lines.
L F Papworth pleaded guilty to breaching s 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act. It was fined £134,000 plus costs of £6,484.
T W Page was fined £80,400 and £6,596 costs after it admitted breaching s 2(1) of the same act.
HSE inspector Jessica Churchyard said after the hearing: "Where hazardous electrical conductors need to be kept live, workers and equipment must be kept at a safe distance from them.
"Here, no effective precautions were implemented and workers were put at potentially lethal risk with Mr Howes suffering injuries which will affect him for the rest of his life."
The plant mechanic, employed by Countrystyle Recycling, was fixing the shredder on 7 October 2013. A metal plate forming the roof of the hammer drum – in which waste material is smashed into smaller pieces by hammers – had become detached. Maidstone Magistrates’ Court heard the employee was kneeling on a conveyor belt inside the shredder when it restarted. He was thrown from the machine, fracturing his right leg and left arm.
Words: Louis WustemannPictures: James RobertshawOSH managers spend their days trying to ensure their organisations’ controls are robust enough to prevent major accidents. For many, their worst fear is that some combination of unforeseen circumstances will combine with fatal results. For Emily Ramsay CMIOSH it’s not so much a matter of whether this will happen, but when.
An employee of Non Destructive Testing Services was carrying out pile testing at a construction site in Brixton, London on 29 May 2012, Southwark Crown Court was told. The worker was inside an accommodation unit fitted to a vehicle when he was overcome by carbon monoxide fumes from one of the unit’s gas appliances and died.The Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) investigation found the unit’s ventilation was inadequate. There were two gas appliances in the cabin, with pipework and gas cylinders that that been there for several years.
The Virginia Department of Labor and Industry said that its Virginia Occupational Safety and Health (VOSH) programme cited four “wilful” and 115 “serious” violations and $1,012,400 in penalties to the multinational tyre manufacturer earlier this month as a result of comprehensive site inspections. Four workers have died in accidents at the plant since August last year.
A mechanic sustained injuries to his thigh when he was attacked by the dog in January 2014. When the HSE visited the garage, it uncovered various offences, including spray painting without appropriate control measures to prevent workers and members of the public from breathing in hazardous chemicals, an unsafe vehicle lift, and a lack of adequate welfare facilities. The HSE had previously taken enforcement action against the garage’s owner, Mehmet Salih, in relation to these offences.
Enterprise Liverpool had been contracted by the council to carry out resurfacing works on Queens Drive in Liverpool and it subcontracted Tarmac Trading. On 3 July 2012, a 74-year-old man sustained head and back injuries when he was struck by a car while crossing at temporary lights. Liverpool Crown Court was told that one side of the Queens Drive dual carriageway had been put into a contraflow to allow vehicles to travel in both directions. However, the temporary pedestrian lights were not working and no alternative was provided.