Tired extraction system left workers exposed to hardwood dust
Wednesday 9th May 2018
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Luton Magistrates' Court was told that Andrena Furniture's employees were exposed to high levels of the dust, which can cause occupational asthma and nasal cancer, on a daily basis.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the extraction system in the workshop did not work properly and a robust cleaning procedure had not been implemented.
The company also had failed to keep up standards it achieved following previous inspections, the executive said.
In September 2013 the company was served an improvement notice after the HSE found it did not have health surveillance arrangements for workers who were exposed to wood dust. It complied with the notice two months later.
Andrena Furniture, a family-run business which specialises in the manufacture of dining and cabinet furniture, pleaded guilty to breaching regs 7(1) and 9(2)(a) of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations. It was fined £8,000 and also ordered to pay costs of £1,080.
HSE inspector Sandra Dias said: "Andrena Furniture was fully aware of the health and safety standards it needed to maintain. Breathing in dust can cause life-changing lung disease or make existing conditions worse."
The soldering worker was employed by Bayham in 1975, when there was no extraction system in place to remove rosin-based solder flux fumes – a hazardous substance generated and released during the soldering process that can cause occupational asthma and dermatitis. In the 1990s the company installed a small benchtop air displacement box (ADB) to extract the fumes. However, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said this had dispersed them and workers were exposed to the harmful fumes.
The Office for Nuclear Regulation (ONR), the safety regulator for the civil nuclear industry in the UK, said it has notified Sellafield of its intention to prosecute under s 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act. The announcement comes after the ONR investigated an incident on 5 February 2017 that resulted in the “personal contamination to a Sellafield employee”.
The report by fire investigation experts BRE Global was leaked to the Evening Standard and reveals deficiencies beyond the flammable cladding panels and insulation.BRE Global’s investigation findings, which emerged yesterday, concluded that the fire would not have spread beyond Flat 16 – where a single fridge-freezer caught fire – had the tower’s original façade not been reclad.
The country’s level of work-related harm remains high by international standards, particularly in comparison with Australia and the UK, and the government’s ambition is to decrease rates to “world class health and safety levels”. New Zealand’s fatal work-related injury rate per 100,000 workers rose from 2.3 in 2015 to 2.6 in 2016 compared with Australia which declined from 1.8 to 1.5. The UK’s fatal work-related injury rate in 2015 was 0.8 per 100,000 workers.
Precast concrete products manufacturer CPM Group was fined £660,000 after 43-year-old fitter Jeffery Baulf was fatally crushed when the conveyor started moving as he was carrying out maintenance work at the company’s plant in Frome, Somerset on 3 October 2016.