Teenager suffers head injuries on first day of work experience
Tuesday 6th December 2016
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Stafford Crown Court was told that the accident happened on 15 December 2014 when a heavy panel was being unloaded from a lorry. The young worker was asked to steady the panel, which was on a wooden pallet on the ground.
The panel toppled over and trapped him across the forks of a forklift truck. He sustained a head injury and five compression fractures of his pelvis.
The Health and Safety Executive's (HSE) investigation found the company did not have a suitable and sufficient risk assessment and there was a lack of training, supervision and communication.
Radwell International, which supplies factory plant and systems including HVAC and electrical control equipment and has offices in Germany, Canada and the US, pleaded guilty to breaching ss 2 and 3 of the Health and Safety at Work Act. It was fined and ordered to pay costs of £12,143.
Aylesbury Crown Court was told that three computer numeric control (CNC) machine operators employed by Martin Baker were exposed to metalworking fluid for many years and developed a lung disease known as extrinsic allergic alveolitis (EAA) – an allergic reaction to breathing in mist and vapour from the fluid. Symptoms of the disease include coughing, shortness of breath and joint pain.
The accident happened at a Volvo Truck and Bus Centre depot in Enfield, north London on 17 September 2015. The technician was servicing a lorry owned by delivery firm DHL when he identified that the access rope to the back of the vehicle was broken and needed to be replaced. The rope was approximately 3.5 m off the ground and he fetched a stepladder from the warehouse to carry out the repair.
On 6 October 2014, a 39-year-old employee of Rudolph and Hellmann Automotive, which was contracted to manage materials movement on the production lines, had his left foot crushed when he was run over by forklift truck. The next day, a 55-year-old operations manager was seriously injured by a falling metal box as he walked along a marked pedestrian footpath. The box fell off a forklift and pinned him to the ground. He sustained punctured lungs, internal bleeding and a fractured pelvis.
Words: Dr DF MerchantIf warm words from governments were all that was needed to fuel driverless vehicles they might be all around us. Following the launch in Britain of the Centre for Connected and Autonomous Vehicles (CCAV) in 2015, this September a new inquiry under the House of Lords’ Science and Technology Committee was announced. This will report early next year on the government’s plans to “ensure that the UK is a world leader in developing, testing and deploying connected and autonomous vehicles” for road, sea and space travel.
Blackfriars Crown Court was told that employee Alan Cooper was using a tower scaffold to clean the former lift shaft inside what used to be South Kentish Town tube station on 22 September 2014. He fell 9.2 m from the scaffold and was in hospital for ten days.