Teenager hospitalised after passing out from slurry gas
Tuesday 7th November 2017
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
The 14-year-old boy was taken to hospital and put in an induced coma for 24 hours after being found unconscious at the dairy farm in Omagh, County Tyrone.
Dungannon Crown Court was told that Charles Elkin, 66, had put his son in charge of stirring slurry inside a farm building. The teenager, who worked on the farm in the school summer holidays, was helping out with the job.
He had been told to stay inside the tractor that was pumping the slurry and to turn off the engine if it started to overheat.
Elkin's son found the boy unconscious when he returned to the tractor.
He was fined £1,000 and also ordered to pay costs of just under £1,390.
The dangers of mixing slurry are well known in the farming industry, said the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland. Inspector Anne Cassidy commented: "Following the slurry mixing code can prevent accidents and save lives. Once mixing starts everyone should get out and stay out for at least 30 minutes.
"In this case, the farmer failed to follow the accepted advice, placing a young and inexperienced employee at significant risk from exposure to the potentially deadly gas produced during mixing. This incident was easily preventable."
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) launched an investigation into Bedford-based Ramsay Health Care (UK) Operations after occupational health nurse Lynne Betts reported in June 2014 that she was concerned about how its internal occupational health service was being run.
In the recent case of Otero Ramos v Servicio Galego de Saude, the claimant Elda Otero Ramos was a breastfeeding mother who worked as a nurse in the accident and emergency (A&E) unit of University Hospital Coruña in Spain.
As we previously reported, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) launched an investigation into Ramsay Health Care (UK) Operations after an employee reported concerns in June 2014 about how its internal occupational health (OH) service was run.
In March 2015 two receptionists were ordered to clean the spa and swimming pool at Fredrick’s Hotel, Restaurant and Spa in Maidenhead. They began vomiting after 30 minutes and one of them passed out.In a separate incident another employee sustained burns while using a decarboniser – a heated stainless steel tank for cleaning equipment and utensils in commercial kitchens – which was running at 82°C. The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead said its officers visited the site and found staff had not been properly trained in the use of cleaning agents.
Principal contractor Wates, part of Wates Group – one of the largest family-owned construction, property services and development companies in the UK – had subcontracted RJ Fitters to remove flue cowls on redundant flue pipes before blocking them off. Cambridge Crown Court was told that operatives had been given a diagram marked with the redundant flues and were expected to find them among the live ones. They made a mistake regarding the correct floor level and blocked a live flue on 19 December 2014.
A routine inspection of the premises, carried out by two Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspectors in September 2015, found a catalogue of safety failures.Luton Magistrates’ Court was told that Plasterboard Recycling Solutions had failed to control exposure to plasterboard dust, which had coated floors, walls, ledges and machinery at the site. A follow-up occupational hygiene survey found the concentration of dust exceeded workplace exposure limits.