From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Whiteghyll Plastics employee Richard Perry and a colleague was covering roof lights with blackout vinyl to reduce the heat in the Bradford factory on June 2014. He fell through a fragile roof light into the fabrication department.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the firm had opportunities to stop the pair from carrying out the job but neglected to supervise the work.
Andrea Jones, the HSE inspector overseeing the investigation said this lack of supervision led to Perry's death: "This accident would not have happened if these two employees had been appropriately supervised by management."
The company, which makes retail display materials, pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act (HSW Act) and was fined £120,000 and ordered to pay £37,655 in costs.
Karl Brader, 50, was an employee at Herbs in a Bottle, Leicester Crown Court heard. He was using cleaning chemicals to wash down a changing room when he inhaled a toxic gas, likely to have been chlorine. He died at the scene. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident, which occurred on 2 September 2014, found that Brader was not trained in the safe use of chemicals. Herbs in a Bottle had not carried out a Control of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) assessment.
Meldrum Construction Services (MCS) was the principle contractor for the refurbishment work at premises in Percy Street, Newcastle upon Tyne. On 6 July 2015, a worker stepped on to a temporary wooden platform on the first floor riser. The platform collapsed and the worker fell 4.5 m, spraining both his ankles.
Faruk Patel told police that workers at the site in Leicester could take care of themselves and were aware of the dangers, adding that 40 year-old Tasadaq Ur-Rehman was responsible for his own death.Patel, from Leicester, had no experience of managing construction sites.
Andrew Fraser, employed by Gemini Corrosion Services, became stuck to the pipe inside the aluminum coating machine on 17 September 2014.The company, which provides protective corrosion services for drill pipes used in the oil and gas industry, treats the surfaces of the pipes before they are sprayed with molten aluminium as they rotate. Speaking at Forfar Sheriff Court, fiscal depute Gavin Callaghan said the texture of the pipe that Fraser became caught on was “similar to coarse sandpaper".
Bristol Crown Court heard that the Concrete Fabrications employee, who wants to remain anonymous, was adjusting tension rods to rectify the misaligned conveyor. The bars were inside the machine’s guard, close to the conveyor belt and rotating tail pulley. Aggregate had built up on the tension rods and he attempted to knock it off with a hammer, but it was caught by the rotating machinery. The worker’s arm was dragged in and severed between the shoulder and elbow.
Keith Chandler, 63, was working as part of a team at Brentwood School Charitable Incorporated Organisation replacing part of a bay window at a residential flat in the school grounds. Chandler was standing on the window’s roof when he fell 2.6 m after his foot became caught. He was taken to hospital with chipped vertebrae and a broken collarbone. The Health and Safety Executive found there was no guardrail on the top of the bay, or any other means of protection to prevent the workers from falling. There were also no supervisory arrangements.