From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
The worker was attempting to clear a blockage in the machine at the company's plant in Mexborough near Doncaster when the incident occurred on 8 March 2016.
Sheffield Magistrates' Court was told that the carding machine was fitted with a flange attachment. This connected pipework to the machine at the discharge chute and supplied loose fibre to a single toy-filling machine.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the flange and discharge pipework had been left off, so the machine could discharge into a wooden enclosure to supply three toy-filling machines with loose fibre. As a result, a spiked roller inside the discharge chute was unguarded and accessible during the machine's operation.
The worker had entered the enclosure and was clearing loose fibre from the discharge chute to free a blockage. The spiked roller was still rotating and grabbed his left hand, drawing him into the machine and severing most of his fingers. The worker was airlifted to hospital where surgeons had to amputate his hand due the severity of his injuries.
The Stuffing Plant (TSP) of Whitelea Grove Industrial Estate, Mexborough pleaded guilty to breaching section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act. The company was fined £35,000 and ordered to pay £2,486 in costs.
Avon Joinery admitted breaching reg 9(1) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations on 26 July after an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found it had not given the worker necessary refresher training. Coventry Magistrates’ Court was told that the 59-year-old joiner was using the saw to cut tapered strips of wood on 3 February 2016 when his hand came into contact with the blade. He lost most of his left index finger and the tip of his thumb.
Exeter Magistrates’ Court was told that Anthony Seward was preparing a piece of machinery for the next shift when his hand was drawn in to the rotating rollers. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Heathcoat Fabrics had not replaced the guard that had broken down two years before and had fitted an emergency stop wire instead.The guard was fixed the day after the incident happened, on 23 August 2014.
Worcester Crown Court was told on 31 August that Jeffery Warner, an employee at Thomas Panels and Profiles, died when a steel beam emerged from a machine and pushed another beam, which crushed him against a closing door.
Sheffield Magistrates’ Court heard this week that a worker at Pyronix’s Rotherham plant was dipping baskets, which contained printed circuit boards (PCBs), into fluorocoat thin film coating to provide humidity protection when the incident occurred in April 2015.
A large quantity of benzole was released at an open site glass in the steel works on 17 June 2011. A flammable cloud developed and, had it ignited, the release could have led to serious injury or the death of the five workers. Two of the exposed workers experienced breathing difficulties. Both were sent to hospital but were discharged the next day. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Tata Steel had ignored the risks of uncontrolled releases even though they had been identified previously.
Lincoln Magistrates’ Court was told that the Fishgate worker was raised up inside an unsecured box by a forklift truck driver so he could paint the gutters and downpipes on the outside of the factory in Brookenby, Lincolnshire. The box tipped forward and he fell about 6 m, sustaining a dislocated arm, cracked pelvis, shattered leg and broken foot.