From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Natural Insulation (formerly Black Mountain Insulation) did not conduct an adequate assessment for processing hemp and failed to adequately guard machinery. The investigation was carried out following concerns raised anonymously.
The pressurised gas cylinder arrived at Walter Heselwood’s site in Sheffield hidden inside a water tank. Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Kirsty Storer explained that orphaned pressurised gas cylinders often turn up in waste streams destined for recycling sites. Orphaned cylinders do not belong to major companies such as Calor Gas, BP Gas, Flogas and BOC Industrial Gases, which have retrieval arrangements.
A pressurised gas cylinder was put through a shearing machine for processing on 16 June 2009 when it exploded. Tony Johnson, 55, was hit in the head by a large section of the cylinder and died from his injuries. The Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) investigation found Walter Heselwood had not adequately assessed the risks from handling different types of scrap metal and failed to implement appropriate measures to minimise these risks, such as installing a blast wall.
The worker, who wishes to remain anonymous, was employed by Signode, a division of ITW, as an electrical maintenance engineer at its Swansea, Wales, site. On 30 May 2013 he offered to help on the polyester sheet production line after one of the five people who were supposed to be on shift called in sick. As he was rethreading plastic into the pinch roller, his glove was caught and the machine dragged in his right hand. He pulled his hand free but his index finger was so badly damaged it had to be surgically removed below the knuckle.
Merthyr Tydfil-based Advanced Gate manufactured and installed a gate system for Personal Hygiene Services (PHS) in Caerphilly. It featured two leaves – the first was driven by a motor and it powered the second via a chain and sprocket.On 30 September 2014 a PHS employee went to close the gate manually after the mechanism failed. As he pulled one of the leaves, it detached from the runners and fell on him. A vertical rail struck his leg, resulting in severe trauma tearing muscle and nerves. He was hospitalised for ten days and off work for 12 months.
As we reported last month, three National Grid Gas workers and two employees from RS Services were deployed to Ashby Road, Scunthorpe to stop a gas leak. The fault was in the location of a previous repair on the pipe that first needed to be removed.
An employee of ITW was repairing a broken piece of plastic sheeting by rethreading it into the pinch roller. His gloved hand dragged into the rollers and was crushed. The index finger on his right hand had to be surgically removed because it was so badly damaged. The Health and Safety Executive’s investigation into the accident, which happened on 30 May 2012, found ITW had not properly guarded machinery along the length of the production line, despite having identified the risks.