From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that Coldmac had failed to ensure that the guarding on the machine was safe.
Nuneaton Magistrates' Court heard this week how the North Lincolnshire construction firm had appointed specialist contractors for a new footway. On 8 April 2015, the worker was using a screwdriver to scrape asphalt residue off a mixer that he had been using. When the screwdriver suddenly slipped, his hand caught the lip of the mixer and lost his middle and index fingers.
Coldmac, of Midland Road, Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire pleaded guilty to breaching reg 11(1) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. The company was handed a £6,000 fine and ordered to pay costs of £1,995.92.
The company had failed to recognise its roles as client and the principal contractor under the Construction (Design and Management) (CDM) Regulations 2015.Two of the four men suffered leg fractures; a third sustained a broken collar bone, while the fourth sustained severe bruising of the chest, which required him to wear a body vest. Had LSDM properly managed the working at height and lifting risks, and also provided the right level of trained personnel and supervision to carry out the work safely, the incident would not have happened.
Coventry Magistrates’ Court heard last week that principal contractor JDB Industrial Roofing had brought in ACD Roofing to complete recladding on a fragile roof. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that when the work commenced on 15 December 2015, ACD Roofing did not install nets nor guardrails. The mobile elevating platform (MEWP) which had been provided as an anchor point for the fall arrest equipment did not have enough capacity. Also, when the injured worker fell, his harness was not attached to anything.
On 2 October 2014, Laing O’Rourke employees Paul and Philip Griffiths were attempting to tow away a broken down scissor lift on a service road at Heathrow Airport.Paul Griffiths was operating a dump truck under the direction of managers when his foot became stuck between the brake and the accelerator. His brother Philip was standing between the truck and the scissor lift and was fatally crushed when the truck suddenly reversed. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
In March 2015, the 66-year-old contractor was installing fire detection equipment at Whirlpool’s factory at Yate, near Bristol (formerly owned by Indesit), where it manufactures tumble dryers. He was working at a height of 5 m when Whirlpool maintenance staff, unaware of his presence, started an overhead conveyor. The movement destabilised the MEWP, toppling it and dropping the contractor to the factory floor, fatally injuring him.The Health and Safety Executive found there was no supervision or controls to prevent the conflicting tasks being carried out.
The accident involved an employee of Inflite Engineering Services and an agency worker, who were carrying out checks to the tail of an aeroplane, Chelmsford Magistrates' Court was told.The two men were standing on MEWPs either side of the plane's tail when another worker closed the wrong circuit breaker, inadvertently opening the air brakes (used to increase drag or the angle of approach during landing) and knocking over both platforms.