£1.9m fine marks second major 2017 penalty for Warburtons
Tuesday 4th July 2017
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Wayne Thorpe, 44, received a skin graft at Nottingham City Hospital.
Nottingham Crown Court was told that on 4 August 2015 Thorpe had been working at the company's factory in Meadowbank Way, Eastwood, and checking dough as it dropped into tins.
As he cleaned away dough that had fallen between the tins, his arm became caught in a 40 mm gap between a running conveyor belt and moulder.
According to reports, the emergency stop button had failed to halt the conveyor belt, which ceased operating only when another worker put his hand in front of the laser sensor.
CCTV footage seen by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) showed engineers dismantling part of the machine to release Thorpe. The HSE said Warburtons should have fitted local guarding to prevent access between the conveyor belt.
The company pleaded guilty to breaching reg 11 of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations, which requires employers to prevent access to dangerous parts of machinery, or to stop such equipment from operating before workers enter the danger zone. Warburtons was fined and ordered to pay full costs of £21,460.
It is the second £1m-plus fine to have been handed to Warburtons this year.
In January the company was fined £2m after its failure to comply with the Work at Height Regulations led to an employee falling 2 m as he cleaned a mixing machine at the Wednesbury plant in the West Midlands.
HSE inspector Edward Walker said of the latest accident: "Warburtons failed to guard the machine sufficiently to prevent access to the running conveyors, which in this case would have prevented the injuries."
Avon Joinery admitted breaching reg 9(1) of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations on 26 July after an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found it had not given the worker necessary refresher training. Coventry Magistrates’ Court was told that the 59-year-old joiner was using the saw to cut tapered strips of wood on 3 February 2016 when his hand came into contact with the blade. He lost most of his left index finger and the tip of his thumb.
The victim was operating a foot pedal saw on 21 March 2016 when his hand came into contact with the rotating blade, Birmingham Magistrates’ Court was told. He sustained a severed hand a wrist.An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found PES, which supplies prefabricated pipework for commercial and industrial applications, had incorrectly installed the machine in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. The failure meant it could be operated from a position that took the operator very close to the saw’s moving blade.
Adrian Pickett had been contracted by retired farmer James Headland, 73, to carry out the work at his farm. Pickett did so using his own tractor-mounted rotary flail hedge cutter, Lincoln Magistrates’ Court was told. The accident happened on 13 February 2013. Headland later died of his injuries. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the contractor had failed to properly maintain his machinery and fit it with the correct guarding.
The joint study, conducted by the University of Stirling in Scotland and the University of Ulster in Northern Ireland, says there is a “clear link” between exposure to polluted air and several health conditions.Unfiltered air is supplied (or bled) to an aeroplane cabin’s ventilation system from the engine compressors and can become contaminated as engine oil leaks over the engine seals and enters the compressor air.
The ministry said incidents involving vehicles were the most common cause of worker deaths. From January to May this year, 287 workers were injured in such accidents, six of them fatally. More than 250 workplace inspections will now take place over the next eight weeks in an enforcement crackdown named “Operations Roadrunner”. The MOM said that during the first five months of the year it inspected traffic management systems at more than 400 construction sites, storage yards, warehouses and factories. One in five visits uncovered poor practices.
Crane erectors David Newall, 36, and Rhys Barker, 18, died on 21 June at a building site in Dunwoody Way, owned by developer and housebuilder Seddon Homes. Post mortems concluded that both men died from crush injuries. A third man, 45, who was also working on the crane, is recovering from serious injuries in Royal Stoke University Hospital.
A Belfast-based Risk & Compliance software provider has been collaborating with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and construction giant Costain as part of an ongoing project to unlock artificial intelligence’s (AI) potential in improving the management of risks on worksites.
We spoke to Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Andrew Johnson about a case where a one-tonne pallet of glass fell on a United Pallet Network (UK) Limited’s employee, causing life-changing injuries.
In this webinar, we will take a closer look at what the new stats mean compared to previous years with a focus on the topics of chemical management, permit to work and EHS in the manufacturing industry. Book your free place now and earn CPD points, too.
IOSH magazine spoke to HSE inspector Bill Gilroy about a serious accident at a Nestlé factory in Newcastle – an almost carbon copy of a previous incident at another of the confectionary firm’s factories.
The US Department of Labor has presented an Ohio-based vehicle parts manufacturer on its ‘severe violator enforcement programme’ with a fine of $480,240 (approx. £373,000) after inspectors found it had continually exposed workers to multiple machine hazards
Chipboard manufacturer Norbord Europe Limited has been fined £2.15m after a four-week trial held at Perth Sheriff Court in Scotland found that a series of failings at its Cowie site in Stirlingshire in July 2016 had led to an employee’s death.