Pensioner left with ‘catastrophic’ scalds after hotel ignored unsafe water temperature
Friday 1st June 2018
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Geoffrey Saunders, 86, was staying at Ancient House -- part of the Victoria Hotel in Holkham -- when the accident happened in September 2016.
North Norfolk District Council (NNDC), which brought the case against The Victoria at Holkham, said Saunders sustained "catastrophic" and "life changing" injuries while having a bath. He spent six weeks in hospital and still experiences health issues, including painful scars.
Huntingdon Magistrates' Court was told that Saunders had been topping up the bath when scalding water came out of the tap and landed on his back. He was unable to turn it off and "instinctively recoiled", becoming trapped in the bath while boiling water poured in, NNDC said.
The report is based on a recent study commissioned by the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work (EU-OSHA) that examined the issues faced by workers affected by cancer. Researchers said optimising the rehabilitation and return of those affected by cancer would improve their wellbeing and reduce the financial impacts of the disease on European businesses. They have recommended the development of new legislation that obliges all employers to offer return-to-work programmes for their employees.
The free-to-use Safe Car Wash app asks drivers questions relating to signs of modern slavery, including if the worker has access to suitable personal protective equipment such as gloves and boots, if they seem afraid and if the service costs less than £6.70.Based on their answers, the user may be prompted to call the Modern Slavery Helpline.
Speaking to the House of Commons at prime minister’s questions on Wednesday, May said the government was “minded” to restrict combustible cladding.“We are meeting our legal duties to consult on these proposals and we will not delay any necessary action,” she said.
Middlesbrough Council brought the prosecution after its environmental health officers investigated an accident at The Sporting Lodge Hotel in Stainton in November 2016. Teesside Magistrates’ Court was told that the five-year-old tripped over a trailing electric cable to a soup kettle, which contained hot gravy and had been left unattended by hotel staff. Its contents poured over the child, who required immediate medical attention. Some scars are still visible from the burns.
Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council (BMBC), which brought the prosecution, found Tyke Leisure (trading as Tyke Racing) ignored its own risk assessments that it had carried out the previous year after another six year old was seriously hurt. A court was told that in October 2016 the child was attending a “Cadet Drivers Club” training session at Tyke Racing. He crashed into a barrier on a hairpin bend towards the end of the 500 m circuit, hitting his head on the steering wheel and fracturing his wrist.
Mohammed Isaq, 56, pleaded guilty to nine charges for breaching the Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order and for failing to comply with improvement and prohibition notices at Haslington Hall. His company, Haslington Hall Ltd, where he was the major shareholder, admitted the same breaches.Chester Crown Court was told Isaq previously had to pay a £23,815 penalty after he was found guilty of nine counts of breaching the Regulatory Reform Fire Safety Order in 2012, also at the venue.