NZ scholarship programme to boost ageing OSH workforce
Thursday 6th September 2018
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Starting in early 2019, the HASANZ scholarships will be awarded annually to people already working in safety and health who want to undertake higher-level qualifications, and to graduates who want to pursue careers in health and safety.
A joint survey carried out in 2017 by HASANZ and PricewaterhouseCoopers New Zealand found that demand for qualified OSH advisers outstrips supply in many areas, and that the country's OSH workforce is ageing. The survey results indicated that more than 50% of OSH professionals are over 50 years of age and nearing retirement.
The scholarship programme forms part of a raft of initiatives that HASANZ is working on with business and sector leaders, tertiary institutions and government agencies, to meet the shortfall in OSH professionals.
HASANZ executive director Philip Aldridge said that the country's first national online register of verified OSH professionals, which was launched on 27 July, re-emphasised the capability gaps among the country's OSH professionals that had been identified as far back as 2013 when the Independent Taskforce on Workplace Health and Safety published its report on the reasons for the country's poor safety and health record.
Aldridge said there were only six qualified and practising occupational hygienists in the country. He added that as well as closing the capability gap, HASANZ also needed "to plan now for the changing nature of work and to create career pathways that encourage interest in health and safety as a rewarding career option".
"Our immediate priority is to help current health and safety practitioners take their skills to the next level and to encourage postgraduate study," he said.
The scholarship programme, which is funded by organisations including Air New Zealand, KiwiRail and Z Energy, provides successful applicants with up NZ$5,000 (£2,557) per year for up to two years, as well as practical experience and mentoring. Applications for scholarships to study in early 2019 close in late October.
Minister for workplace relations and safety Iain Lees-Galloway, who announced the initiative at HASANZ's second conference at Te Papa in Wellington on 5 September, said: "Access to further education to develop skills is key to ensuring an increased supply of qualified health and safety advisers into the future.
"[The scholarship programme] will contribute to a pipeline of professionals coming through the education system, so that Kiwi businesses can have better access to good health and safety advice to reduce workplace harm."
Both men, known only as 1A and 1B as their identities are protected by an anonymity order, deny failing to take reasonable care for the safety and health of those who took part in the march. On 13 July 2013 Corporal James Dunsby and Lance Corporals Edward Maher and Craig Roberts were on a training march trying out for places in the SAS reserve. The part-time reservists had few opportunities to refill their water bottles and, as the temperature rose to 27°C, they fell ill and collapsed.
Kent County Council was fined £200,000 for the oversight because, as the employer under the Health and Safety at Work Act, it had failed to ensure employees liable to be exposed to asbestos had been trained adequately. The school, Lansdowne primary, was not prosecuted because it had transferred to the Stour Academy Trust and was no longer run by the council at the time of the Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) initial visit.
In accordance with parliamentary procedures for a public appointment, the Transport Select Committee will hold a pre-appointment scrutiny hearing with Collier later this year, after which a final decision on his nomination will be made. The new chair is expected to take up the post on 1 January 2019 and transport secretary Chris Grayling said he expects to appoint Collier as a non-executive member of the board for a brief period before he takes up the role.
Kicking off the day at the macro level, Bernd Treichel of the International Social Security Association (ISSA) gave several hundred delegates a brief update on the Vision Zero global campaign his UN agency launched at the World Safety Congress in Singapore last year (http://visionzero.global). The initiative now has 2,000 organisations signed up, he said, and is still looking for more employers to sign up “with no strings attached” to its principles of accident prevention and enhanced training.
At the start of the day, Mark Gallagher, founder and chief executive of Performance Insights, explained how the death of sporting icon Ayrton Senna at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix triggered a reappraisal of safety in Formula 1 motor racing, the lessons from which have been cascaded through motor sport and its supply chain. But Gallagher warned that the 20 years without a fatality in Formula 1 which those lessons made possible, ended with the death of Jules Bianchi in 2015.
A Belfast-based Risk & Compliance software provider has been collaborating with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and construction giant Costain as part of an ongoing project to unlock artificial intelligence’s (AI) potential in improving the management of risks on worksites.
A 73-year-old woman with dementia has won her claim for constructive unfair dismissal against supermarket giant Asda, after she was asked more than once if she wanted to retire and subjected to treatment that violated her dignity.
There is just one month to go until the launch of the new and enhanced IOSH Blueprint tool, which will revolutionise members’ professional development experience and help them ensure they’re on the right career path.