NZ juice co fined $367,500 over faulty bottle filling machine fatality
Thursday 15th August 2019
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
The Homegrown juice Company, which has the largest plantings of orange orchards in New Zealand, was sentenced at Hastings District Court on 14 August over the fatal injury in June 2017.
The court was told that the worker was cleaning a bottle-filling machine when her arm was drawn into the rotating equipment. It continued to rotate and she died at the scene.
Regulator WorkSafe investigated and found the machine was not fitted with an interlock, which would have prevented it from starting while guarding was open.
The machine had been imported from China and had not been assessed by a New Zealand engineer. It was not certified or compliant with New Zealand standards.
WorkSafe chief inspector Hayden Mander said interlocks were a vital protection for workers.
"They are the 'fail safe' for machinery which has entanglement potential and installing one in this case could have prevented a tragic death.
"If a risk is identified in a business' operations, failing to properly manage that risk is simply unacceptable. It's unlawful, and just as importantly, failing to manage known risks exposes workers to injury or death."
The Homegrown Juice Company was charged under ss 36(1)(a), 48(1) and (2)(C) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015. A s 48(2)(c) breach carries a maximum penalty of NZ$1.5m (£797.621).
Nearly 30 per cent of workplace injuries in Singapore are now the result of slips, trips and falls, according to the Straits Times. The first six months of 2019 saw more than 1,800 injuries, a 6 per cent increase on last year, with totals of more than 3,000 per year over the past four years.
A Belfast-based Risk & Compliance software provider has been collaborating with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and construction giant Costain as part of an ongoing project to unlock artificial intelligence’s (AI) potential in improving the management of risks on worksites.
Lee Bennett is a health and safety manager at British Land, which owns more than 50 shopping centres and retail parks across the UK. He tells us how he has bene planning for one of the busiest shopping days of the year.
Chipboard manufacturer Norbord Europe Limited has been fined £2.15m after a four-week trial held at Perth Sheriff Court in Scotland found that a series of failings at its Cowie site in Stirlingshire in July 2016 had led to an employee’s death.