Hull council’s rink fall oversight led to head injuries
Thursday 25th October 2018
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
An investigation found that some staff members wore only trainers while working on the ice.
The 51-year-old customer service assistant was painting hockey markings in Hull Arena on 30 August 2014 when he lost his footing and was knocked unconscious. He was taken to hospital with a head injury and three broken ribs.
Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Denise Fotheringham told IOSH Magazine that the incident was one of 11 falls on the ice in the previous three years. The same worker had fallen on the rink six months earlier.
The HSE investigation found the local authority had failed to address the "obvious risk" of employees regularly working on ice.
Fotheringham said: "The council had not considered whether this kind of work could be avoided and, if not, appropriate PPE should have been provided -- in particular footwear to reduce the risk of falls."
Workers had been given only "standard" safety boots, while one month before the accident some had been wearing their own trainers.
According to one witness statement, a member of staff had been asked to calculate the cost of suitable footwear for all arena workers. The cheapest pair he could find was £25 but a manager told him the council could only afford £20.
Fotheringham served an improvement notice, which the council complied with by buying grips for employees to attach to their boots when working on ice.
Hull City Council pleaded guilty to breaching s 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act. It was fined £185,000 and ordered to pay costs of £44,442.
At Hull Crown Court, Judge Bury said he had taken account of the impact of the fine on the public purse. When applying the sentencing guidelines he started at the bottom of the category range for a large organisation because "this is not a commercial exercise and if fines are heavy the council tax payers could lose out". (See table below for how the guidelines were applied in full.)
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) launched an investigation in November 2016 after the visitor to the Walton-on-the-Naze Lifestyles centre fell ill and was hospitalised. Tests showed the showers and fitness room at the council-owned complex contained legionella bacteria, the BBC reported at the time. Ian Davidson, chief executive of Tendring District Council, confirmed that the local authority is to be prosecuted, but said its systems for managing the risk of legionella have been upgraded since the incident.
The ladder, which was defective, had been consigned to a skip but was returned to use because it wasn’t marked as such, Westminster Magistrates’ Court was told this week.Angelina Lawson had removed droppings from four aviaries using the ladder and was working at 2.5 m up in a fifth enclosure when the steps gave way on 16 July 2016.After landing on a wooden floor, she sustained neck pain, concussion and grazed her elbow.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has suggested changes to RIDDOR 2013 as part of a five-year post-implementation review (PIR) of the regulations (bit.ly/2NJxU94). This found that the regulations were fit for purpose, but recommended some amendments.
The funding is the first tranche of the £400m pledged by prime minister Theresa May earlier this year to cover the costs of removing unsafe aluminium composite material (ACM) cladding from council and housing association tower blocks after the Grenfell Tower fire. The money will be allocated to 12 local authorities and 31 housing associations, covering 135 buildings.The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) has received applications for funds for 159 buildings.
Every year, an average of 4,400 people aged between 25-64 in England die as the result of accidents, including those at work, and there are 240,000 annual accident-related hospital admissions, RoSPA notes in a new national strategy published on 11 October. Although most incidents occur outside work, the knock-on financial effect on businesses is huge.
Last week Matt Hancock, health and social care secretary, launched a “zero tolerance” strategy on violence against NHS workers. The new partnership between the health service, the police and the CPS is part of this. It aims to help victims give evidence and to bring offenders to justice more swiftly. According to the latest figures from the Department of Health and Social Care, more than 15% of NHS workers have experienced violence from patients, their relatives or the public in the past 12 months – the highest figure for five years.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is reminding those responsible for the safety of high-rise residential buildings in England have six months from April to register with the new Building Safety Regulator by law.
The owners and operators of the Holiday Inn Hotel in Hemel Hempstead have been ordered to pay almost £160,000 after the wooden staircase that a wedding party was standing on for a group photograph collapsed beneath them.
A SCUBA equipment supply company has been fined £9,300 and ordered to pay £11,000 costs after providing a diving school with contaminated air that led to children being taken so ill during a training session that one ended up in an induced coma.
Dacorum Borough Council has been fined £100,000 for failing to protect its employees from hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS) after seven cases were reported to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) over a single year.
Musculoskeletal harm now accounts for 27 per cent of all work-related disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) lost in New Zealand, according to a report from the country’s health and safety regulator, WorkSafe. A DALY is defined by the World Health Organization as one lost “healthy” life year.
A care home worker who joked about reporting his employer to the Care Quality Commission (CQC) for not enforcing the wearing of facemasks at the height of the pandemic has won his claim for constructive unfair dismissal.