From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Paisley Sheriff Court was told that British Airways employees who carried out component repairs in workshops at the airport could have developed hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS) from using handheld power tools.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) revealed that the company had not sufficiently risk assessed the effect of exposure by staff to drills, impact hammers and sanders, thus putting them at risk of developing the condition.
British Airways pleaded guilty to breaching reg 5(1) of the Control of Vibration at Work Regulations 2005 for a lack of risk assessment and was fined £6,500
A carding machine that formed part of Felt Suppliers’ production line had become blocked with waste on 1 February 2012. The carding process disentangles, cleans and intermixes fibres to produce a continuous web for onward processing. Nasir Hussain tried to fix the problem by overriding the safety system. He unlocked one of the gates with a spare key, climbed on top of the machine and used a metal bar to clear the blockage.
In a statement, government ministers of health, science and the environment said new regulations will outlaw the production, use, import and export of asbestos under the Canadian Environmental Protection Act 1999. It will establish new rules to reduce the risk of exposure in the workplace and change building codes to prohibit asbestos use in new construction and renovation projects across the country. Science minister Kirsty Duncan said: “There is irrefutable evidence that has led us to take concrete action to ban asbestos.”
Manchester Crown Court was told that on 8 July 2015 three men were carrying out a routine task, changing refrigeration gas inside the chilled storage units. They were working in the roof void of the chilled store building above the units. The victim stood at the edge of the roof on a fragile fire board panel. The board gave way and he fell into the void between the chilled unit and the building shell. He sustained injuries to his head.
Andrew Sears was cleaning a mixing machine on 11 November 2013 when he lost his footing. He sustained a spinal compression fracture and was unable to return to work until the end of the following year. He was dismissed in December 2015 after another long period of sick leave.
Wolverhampton Crown Court was told that a worker was repairing a printing, slotting and forming machine at Diamond Box’s factory in West Bromwich in the West Midlands. He put his foot onto an exposed conveyor and was dragged into the machine’s moving parts. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said that Diamond Box allowed uncontrolled maintenance work without a risk assessment.
Maidstone Crown Court heard on 30 January that the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) had acted on a tip-off from an ex-employee and had visited the premises where electrical safety measures, machinery guarding and materials storage were found to be well below the expected standards.
A Belfast-based Risk & Compliance software provider has been collaborating with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and construction giant Costain as part of an ongoing project to unlock artificial intelligence’s (AI) potential in improving the management of risks on worksites.
In this webinar, we will take a closer look at what the new stats mean compared to previous years with a focus on the topics of chemical management, permit to work and EHS in the manufacturing industry. Book your free place now and earn CPD points, too.
IOSH magazine spoke to HSE inspector Bill Gilroy about a serious accident at a Nestlé factory in Newcastle – an almost carbon copy of a previous incident at another of the confectionary firm’s factories.
Nearly two million people at risk from hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS), a serious and disabling condition that is preventable if appropriate controls are in place. Theo Simon, an application engineer specialist in abrasives at 3M, discusses situations where there is repeated and frequent use of hand-held power tools – such as orbital sanders and angle grinders, found in industries such as foundries, heavy steel fabrication and construction.
Lancashire County Council has been fined £50,000 after 15 employees working in the highways department developed Hand-Arm Vibration Syndrome (HAVs) as a result of failure to control exposure to vibration. IOSH magazine spoke to UK Health and Safety Executive inspector Jennifer French, who investigated the case, about what happened.
Ignoring the risks of whole-body vibration exposure can lead to misery for vehicle operators, and hefty sickness bills for their employers. As industry ramps up after extended shutdowns, the risks could be more present than ever.