From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Hull Crown Court was told that Greencore Grocery had contracted the worker to carry out repairs at its factory in Hull in October 2013.
The company provided the electrician with a stepladder to stand on while wiring a motor situated above a machine, when he fell and sustained fatal injuries.
Greencore had failed to properly plan the job, said the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), including access arrangements for the installation of motors.
Greencore Grocery pleaded guilty to breaching s 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act. It was fined £1m plus £30,000 costs.
HSE inspector Denise Fotheringham said after yesterday's hearing (5 September): "Work at height regulations require that all work at height is properly planned and appropriate access is provided. If Greencore had carried this out this death could have been prevented."
Self-employed electrician David Shanks had been contracted by Greencore to fit new machinery designed to deliver icing sugar to mixing machines located in the sugar paste room at its cake and dessert production factory in Hull. The work involved wiring two motors, which were on a gantry 3 m above ground.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) had visited family-owned Monoworld Recycling’s site in Northamptonshire several times in less than two years and served 15 enforcement notices on the company and three on each of the two directors.Northampton Crown Court was told that the company had not maintained work equipment, had failed to control risks from electrical systems, and had failed to manage work at height risks.
Andragogy, digibesity, people-centred safety; even to those with English as their first language, the global gathering of OSH practitioners in Singapore offered some potentially novel terms.Almost 3,500 delegates from more than 80 countries attended the 21st World Congress on Safety and Health at Work in Singapore’s Marina Bay Sands Convention Centre from 3 to 6 September.
On 28 October 2013 contractor Anthony Hopkins visited the Sycamore Road store in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, to replace the filters in an air handling unit on a plant platform above a suspended ceiling in the warehouse. He fell almost 3 m through the ceiling, sustaining fatal injuries.An investigation by Adrian Monkhouse, principal environmental health officer at Rotherham Council, found there were no barriers to prevent falls from the platform. The area immediately in front of its access ladder was only 45 cm wide and cabling presented trip hazards.
Unusually among the leaders interviewed for this magazine, Derran Williams CMIOSH has no one reporting to him. Yet he is responsible for overseeing the safety and health of hundreds of thousands of workers in massive infrastructure projects from road schemes to power stations across eastern Europe and beyond.As associate director and senior health and safety adviser at the London-based European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), Williams has to verify that the standards of protection are acceptable on the schemes the bank funds.
June, July and August are sweltering months in the State of Qatar; daytime temperatures reach the mid-forties Celsius. For the hundreds of thousands of migrant workers on construction sites across its capital Doha, the extreme heat and humidity are major occupational health risks.