This webinar has already taken place and registrations to attend are now closed
If you missed it, watch it below
On 11 July 2016, lawyers Simon Joyston-Bechal, director, Turnstone Law and Mike Appleby, partner, Bivonas Law discussed the impact of the sentencing guidelines, which have caused health and safety penalties in England and Wales to rise exponentially and made £1 million-plus fines more frequent.
This free to view webinar covers the following:
- The effect of the courts’ evaluation of “potential for harm”
- How the courts have applied the guidance in recent cases
- How the guidelines apply to public sector organisations and charities
- The effect on sentencing by Scottish courts
- Measures organisations can take to protect themselves against the highest fines
- The likely impact of the upcoming guidelines on early guilty plea discounts
*This webinar was organised by LexisNexis, publishers of IOSH Magazine. If you have trouble viewing the recording, please contact our technical support on 0333 800 1894 or firstname.lastname@example.org
View the extended webinar presentation slides, here Webinar duration: 1
hour, 23 minutes
About the speakers:
Dr Simon Joyston-Bechal is a director at Turnstone Law. He is widely regarded as one of the UK's leading health & safety lawyers. Having previously qualified as a doctor, he is uniquely placed
to deal with technical, safety and health related legal issues.
Mike Appleby is a solicitor and is ranked as a ‘star individual’ for health and safety in the independent legal directory Chambers and Partners. Recent work includes securing
the acquittal of an Operations Director of a construction company prosecuted for breaching s37 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 following a fatal electrocution.