From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
On his first day of full-time employment, the 21-year-old agency worker stood in a drainage pit wearing insufficient personal protective equipment (PPE). He was exposed to alkaline cement slurry and sustained chemical burns to his feet and ankles, resulting in the need for cosmetic surgery.
The Health and Safety Executive's (HSE) investigation found the company had failed to recognise that slurry from cured concrete dust was just as dangerous as cement or wet uncured concrete. There was no risk assessment for the slurry and practices to control the risks had not been implemented.
According to the HSE, the incident would have been prevented with a mechanical system to remove slurry from the pit.
At Leicester Magistrates' Court, Stressline pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act and was find £12,000 and ordered to pay £2,121 in costs.
After the hearing HSE inspector Dr Richenda Dixon said: "The risks from concrete and cement are well known in this industry. Companies need to protect agency workers as they are as likely to have injures in the first six months of employment as in the rest of their working lives."
Alan Campbell, 47, was fitting a loading platform on 19 June 2012 when he fell. He suffered two bleeds to the brain and was kept in an induced coma for more than three weeks. A metal plate also had to be inserted into his forehead to reshape his face. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Scotland’s prosecution service the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service found Anglian Windows had not provided sufficient information, instruction, training and supervision to employees who loaded and unloaded equipment from van roofs.
The worker had two fingers on his right hand amputated following the incident on 31 October 2014. Bespoke in Oak was sentenced at Northampton Magistrates’ Court, when it was revealed there was no functioning limited cutter projection tooling on the cutting block and dangerous moving parts were exposed.
Employees routinely used heavy vibrating air-powered tools including drills, grinders and ratchets in assembling large forklift trucks such as those used for moving shipping containers.Until a new health and safety manager was appointed in 2011, Linde had no health surveillance regime to check workers were not developing HAVS, though it had received previous personal insurance claims from employees suffering the condition.
The technician, who has since retired, also lost parts of three fingers while preparing an explosive for a fireworks demonstration for a class at Bristol Cathedral Choir School. It was revealed that explosive substances were regularly handled and prepared at the school, with gunpowder and flash powder kept in its chemistry storeroom.
The 24-year-old from Stockport also sustained several broken bones in the accident on 28 March 2014.On 7 January, Manchester Crown Court was told that the worker was driving a ride-on mower with a grass box attached. When the chute to the grass box became blocked with long, wet grass – as often happened – the employee reached in to clear it. His hand came into contact with the rotating metal fan and was seriously injured. He is now unable to grip with his left hand or use his remaining fingers.
The gas distributor was overseeing work to fix a gas leak on Ashby Road, Scunthorpe when pressure build-up burst one of the pipelines. One worker from the team of subcontractors was trapped between two gas pipes and sustained a broken thighbone. The fire and rescue service worked for an hour in zero visibility to free the engineer, who was wearing breathing apparatus to protect him from escaping gas and the cloud of dust and debris it created.