From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
A 29-year-old employee of Taylor Engineering and Plastics (TEP) developed the condition from sanding tools that he used while working in the factory's trimming department, Greater Manchester Magistrates' Court was told.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that although TEP was required to provide health surveillance under regulations that were introduced in 2005, it had failed to do so until 2014.
The HSE said the company's risk assessments were insufficient and that staff training had been inadequate as many were unaware of the consequences of exposure to high levels of vibration. It also had failed to implement control measures such as using tools with lower levels of vibration, it added.
TEP pleaded guilty to breaching s 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act. It was fined £20,000 and ordered to pay costs of £1,171.
Worcester Crown Court was told on 31 August that Jeffery Warner, an employee at Thomas Panels and Profiles, died when a steel beam emerged from a machine and pushed another beam, which crushed him against a closing door.
Ben Pallier-Singleton was driving the FLT down a sloping road in Vinyl Compounds’ Chinley yard in Derbyshire in the early hours of 10 February 2015 when it tipped over. He sustained fatal head and neck injuries, Manchester Crown Court on Minshull Street was told. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and Derbyshire Constabulary found that Vinyl Compounds had failed to adequately train Pallier-Singleton, who was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the accident.
Hull Crown Court was told that Greencore Grocery had contracted the worker to carry out repairs at its factory in Hull in October 2013. The company provided the electrician with a stepladder to stand on while wiring a motor situated above a machine, when he fell and sustained fatal injuries. Greencore had failed to properly plan the job, said the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), including access arrangements for the installation of motors.
Self-employed electrician David Shanks had been contracted by Greencore to fit new machinery designed to deliver icing sugar to mixing machines located in the sugar paste room at its cake and dessert production factory in Hull. The work involved wiring two motors, which were on a gantry 3 m above ground.
Ben Pallier-Singleton had worked at the PVC manufacturer’s site in Chinley, Derbyshire, as a process operative for about 12 months when the accident happened on 10 February 2015. He was working the nightshift at the plant’s plastic extrusion department, where rolls of film are made. At 4.20 he drove a FLT down a sloping concrete roadway in the external yard to collect some pallets, but did not return, Manchester Crown Court was told.
Exeter Magistrates’ Court was told that Anthony Seward was preparing a piece of machinery for the next shift when his hand was drawn in to the rotating rollers. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Heathcoat Fabrics had not replaced the guard that had broken down two years before and had fitted an emergency stop wire instead.The guard was fixed the day after the incident happened, on 23 August 2014.