From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
The London venue was due to host a volleyball tournament and Aggreko was appointed as the main contractor to provide a temporary electricity supply. Various contractors were hired for the task, including self-employed electricians.
The work required electrical cables to be routed throughout the venue. At times, to thread the wires through small gaps, cable heads were removed but not always replaced. This meant the wiring was live and unprotected when the power supply was switched on.
Ben Brown, a Custom Rigging Services employee, was installing a communications control centre in one of the conference rooms on 3 July 2012 when he was exposed to the live copper ends of an electrical cable. Westminster Magistrates' Court was told Brown's co-workers heard two loud bangs and saw a bright flash before he fell backward and collapsed. His left hand was burned and still cannot grip properly.
Aggreko pleaded guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work Act and the Electricity at Work Regulations and was fined £36,000. It also agreed to pay the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea's costs of £90,000.
The company is said to have acknowledged failings in its procedures and a lack of communication and supervision on site which, amongst other things, led to the injury. Aggreko has taken steps to prevent a similar occurrence.
Dr James Kew was running on a popular footpath in a cornfield in Saffron Walden, Essex on 24 July 2012 when he came into contact with the high voltage power cable. Sections of a porcelain insulator had disintegrated on a wooden pole which supported the cable, causing it to droop. The 11kV line was as low as 1.5 m from the ground in places, though it should have been suspended at 5.5 m.
Following the prosecution of British Solar Renewables (BSR) and Pascon earlier this month, IOSH Magazine has been told that Ashley Coe was working on the ground for much of the installation, helping to feed cables into trenches. He later swapped roles with a colleague and controlled the excavator for the first time since work started at the site. The arm of the excavator came into (close) contact with the overhead power line soon after, shocking Coe and two other workers.
Ashley Coe, who was working onsite for subcontractor Pascon, was installing cables in a trench when an excavator tracked under a 33kV overhead power line and struck it. Coe was helping to control the cable drum suspended from the arm of the excavator when the incident happened on 13 March 2013.
Fire and rescue services are searching the site for three people who are still missing after part of the 10 storey former boiler house collapsed at about 4pm. Five people, believed to be demolition workers, were taken by ambulance to Oxford’s John Radcliffe Hospital; one is reported to have serious injuries but to be in a stable condition. The fire service is using sniffer dogs and unmanned aerial vehicles to search for the three people who are still missing.
Larry Newman, 37, was part of a team sent out by subsidiary firm Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering to install temporary traffic management measures and repair a barrier that had been damaged in a collision on the A2 road. The crew deployed a lorry-mounted crane to remove a post footing that had snapped. During the work, the crane became unstable and swung backwards, hitting Newman on the head and killing him. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The fraud was revealed last October during an episode of Newsnight following investigations by the BBC and CITB. Thousands of applicants will have to retake their HS&E exam as the CITB announced it is recalling 6,000 tests, and more than 2,000 people are required to reapply for their Site Safety Plus certificate.
A Belfast-based Risk & Compliance software provider has been collaborating with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and construction giant Costain as part of an ongoing project to unlock artificial intelligence’s (AI) potential in improving the management of risks on worksites.
On 30 September 2019, an employee of Connop and Son Ltd was pouring concrete at Worton Grounds Farm near Banbury when the arm of a mobile concrete pump he was using came into contact with an overhead powerline.
The US Department of Labor has presented an Ohio-based vehicle parts manufacturer on its ‘severe violator enforcement programme’ with a fine of $480,240 (approx. £373,000) after inspectors found it had continually exposed workers to multiple machine hazards