Dairy farm worker blinded by disinfectant chemicals
Friday 8th November 2019
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Beechdean Farm, part of the Beechdean Group, must pay more than £19,000 for health and safety failings following the August 2017 incident.
An employee was cleaning the walls of the dairy farm at Old House Farm in North Dean, Buckinghamshire, using a corrosive disinfectant DM CiD, which contains potassium hydroxide. The pump sprayer being used unexpectedly developed a fault and ruptured into the face of the employee. His face became covered in the caustic and corrosive disinfectant, rendering him permanently blind in both eyes.
An HSE investigation found that the dairy farm had failed to plan and supervise the use of chemicals for cleaning the dairy and did not have effective emergency arrangements in place.
At High Wycombe Magistrates' Court, Beechdean Farm pleaded guilty to breaching s 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act and was fined £8,000 plus costs of £11,879.
"While it was possible for both the pump sprayer and the chemical to be used for cleaning, this incident could so easily have been avoided by implementing correct control measures, safe working practices and appropriate emergency arrangements," said HSE inspector Stephen Faulkner after the hearing.
"Agriculture is an industry with a high accident rate, and the chemicals and activity involved in this incident are common in dairy farming, so this case should send a message to farms about the dangers of working with chemicals."
The University of Edinburgh has been accused of “completely failing to grasp the importance of risk-based health surveillance,” by an HSE inspector after two researchers were exposed to rodents, despite being allergic.
A Belfast-based Risk & Compliance software provider has been collaborating with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and construction giant Costain as part of an ongoing project to unlock artificial intelligence’s (AI) potential in improving the management of risks on worksites.
A SCUBA equipment supply company has been fined £9,300 and ordered to pay £11,000 costs after providing a diving school with contaminated air that led to children being taken so ill during a training session that one ended up in an induced coma.