Council’s lack of surveillance concealed multiple HAVS cases
Monday 21st November 2016
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
When it investigated the first incident, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the worker had spent up to six hours a day operating electrically powered equipment, such as mowers and hedge cutters. He was not under any health surveillance and was unaware how to report his symptoms. He was diagnosed after he visited his GP.
Canterbury Crown Court was told that Thanet District Council started to implement appropriate health surveillance after the HSE had served it with an improvement notice. During this time, 15 more cases of HAVS were identified and reported to the executive.
The HSE said that the council had not taken steps to eliminate or control its workers' exposure to HAVS. It had failed to train them on the risks of vibration exposure caused by power tools, and how to control it.
Thanet District Council pleaded guilty to breaching regs 6(2) and 7(1) of the Control of Vibration at Work Regulations for failing to reduce exposure to vibration to as low a level as is reasonably practicable and for failing to place employees under suitable health surveillance, respectively.
The council was fined £250,000 and was ordered to pay £18,325 costs.
"[Hand-arm vibration] is entirely preventable but once the damage is done it is permanent," commented HSE inspector Mike Walters.
IOSH Magazinereported last week that a worker was diagnosed with HAVS in October 2014 after he visited his GP. He was not under any health surveillance and did not know how to report his symptoms. Thanet District Council reported the injury under RIDDOR (the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations).
The plant mechanic, employed by Countrystyle Recycling, was fixing the shredder on 7 October 2013. A metal plate forming the roof of the hammer drum – in which waste material is smashed into smaller pieces by hammers – had become detached. Maidstone Magistrates’ Court heard the employee was kneeling on a conveyor belt inside the shredder when it restarted. He was thrown from the machine, fracturing his right leg and left arm.
David Lloyd notified Hounslow Council’s health and safety officers of the incident, who found a series of failures during their investigation. Isleworth Crown Court was told that five-year-old Blakeney Dear, who could not swim, was taking part in a swimming activity at the club during half term, on 19 and 20 February 2013.
A memorandum of understanding has been signed between the Building and Wood Workers’ International (BWI) and the Qatari Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy.The agreement, signed in the Qatari capital Doha, allows joint inspections of construction sites and workers’ accommodation from January. It covers World Cup projects built by companies headquartered in countries where BWI operates. These are Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, India and Italy.
New Earth Solutions, a waste treatment business that was fined £80,000 after an employee was buried in a pile of waste and asphyxiated, would have had to pay £600,000 if it was not in administration, IOSH Magazine has learnt. The case is believed to be the first application of the new sentencing guidelines to a firm that has stopped trading.