Council fined £200k for exposing primary school staff to asbestos
Tuesday 4th September 2018
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Kent County Council was fined £200,000 for the oversight because, as the employer under the Health and Safety at Work Act, it had failed to ensure employees liable to be exposed to asbestos had been trained adequately. The school, Lansdowne primary, was not prosecuted because it had transferred to the Stour Academy Trust and was no longer run by the council at the time of the Health and Safety Executive's (HSE) initial visit.
On 6 November 2014, environmental health officers from the council were carrying out a routine food inspection of the school's kitchen when they found asbestos rope hanging from the ceiling.
An investigation by the HSE found that the school's caretaker, on the apparent instructions of the then headteacher, had disturbed an asbestos flue pipe and an asbestos rope gasket while removing an air steriliser in May 2013 to make way for a freezer.
The HSE served a prohibition notice, closing the kitchen. The notice said: "You have failed to prevent the exposure of employees to asbestos so far as reasonably practicable, in particular the partial steriliser flue and sealant in the school kitchen."
Licensed contractors removed the remaining asbestos containing materials and a deep clean was carried out before the kitchen reopened.
Canterbury Crown Court was told that an asbestos survey by PA Group (UK) in July 2013 ahead of planned building works graded the exposed flue as a medium risk. The report stated: "Item not due to be disturbed by proposed works but requires safe removal due to potential damage exposure."
HSE inspector Kevin Golding told IOSH Magazine there was no evidence that this was ever brought to Kent's attention.
He said neither the caretaker nor the headteacher had any asbestos management or awareness training. Though the council did have policies on providing asbestos training, it had failed to check and monitor that they were being properly followed.
In March 2010 an HSE asbestos management inspection programme found that headteachers were not ensuring that caretakers attended asbestos awareness training and that reporting to the council was inconsistent.
On the HSE's advice, Kent made training mandatory for all relevant school staff. "Unfortunately, what they didn't do was follow that up with a robust system for checking that the training was continuing to be provided," Golding said. "[The council] now has a system which checks that caretakers have asbestos awareness training and it's an explicit requirement."
Kent pleaded guilty to breaching reg 10(1) of the Control of Asbestos Regulations.
Under the sentencing guidelines, Judge Heather Norton said the case was medium culpability, harm category 3. Dealing with the council as a large organisation, she reduced the starting point from £400,000 to £300,000 "given that the cost will ultimately, even if not immediately, fall to the residents to pay". She awarded a full discount for the council's early guilty plea and fined it £200,000 with full costs of £21,501 to be paid.
Starting in early 2019, the HASANZ scholarships will be awarded annually to people already working in safety and health who want to undertake higher-level qualifications, and to graduates who want to pursue careers in health and safety.A joint survey carried out in 2017 by HASANZ and PricewaterhouseCoopers New Zealand found that demand for qualified OSH advisers outstrips supply in many areas, and that the country’s OSH workforce is ageing. The survey results indicated that more than 50% of OSH professionals are over 50 years of age and nearing retirement.
The HSE argued that Apache North Sea’s reduced staffing of the production technicians’ rota on the Beryl Bravo platform, which included using trainees, apprentices and assistants to cover some shifts, had the potential to increase fatigue among staff and reduced also its ability to carry out critical work.
Birmingham Magistrates’ Court was told that the Birmingham Specialities employees had been asked by their manager to remove the wall, despite there being no asbestos survey or up-to-date asbestos management plan for the premises. An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found there were no safeguards or proper precautions in place before the unlicensed workers removed the asbestos insulation sheets.
Ikon ceased trading two months after 22-year-old Luke Allen died on 15 March after falling through the roof of the former sports café building in Bristol city centre. Allen was employed by a subcontractor on the project for which Ikon was the main contractor.
Thistlemoor Healthcare and Management was undertaking extensive refurbishment works, one of which was a part of a medical centre in Peterborough, between April and May 2017, but did not carry out a suitable and sufficient assessment of the asbestos risk. A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that the company did not survey either site for the hazardous material, though both properties were likely to contain asbestos.
The WSH2028 Tripartite Strategy Committee (TSC), which was announced by the Ministry of Manpower earlier this year, announced its preliminary recommendations to improve workplace safety at the Singapore Workplace Safety and Health Conference on 29-30 August.
A Belfast-based Risk & Compliance software provider has been collaborating with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and construction giant Costain as part of an ongoing project to unlock artificial intelligence’s (AI) potential in improving the management of risks on worksites.
A SCUBA equipment supply company has been fined £9,300 and ordered to pay £11,000 costs after providing a diving school with contaminated air that led to children being taken so ill during a training session that one ended up in an induced coma.
A 73-year-old woman with dementia has won her claim for constructive unfair dismissal against supermarket giant Asda, after she was asked more than once if she wanted to retire and subjected to treatment that violated her dignity.
Delegates at a virtual session on ‘Training for Vision Zero’ at the XXII World Congress last month were told how arming children and teenagers with safety knowledge would enable them to enter the workplace as adults better equipped to make safety decisions and help reduce avoidable accidents.
While it is no longer acceptable to assume that all men are stronger than all women, or that people of one colour have different personalities to those of another colour it is, it appears, entirely acceptable to declare that anyone born since 1980 is addicted to social media and will ‘challenge traditional hierarchical HSE systems’, while anyone born before that date is a luddite with no understanding of the modern age, but will be quite happy to toe the line.