From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Perrywood Garden Centre and Nurseries, near Tiptree, was fined £104,000 plus £3,691 costs at Basildon Magistrates' Court after it pleaded guilty to three offences under the Health and Safety at Work Act.
Environmental health officers from Colchester Borough Council investigated the incident after the worker complained to them last September. They found the company had failed to implement the safety management system described in its own policy manual.
Mangers at Perrywood had not taken on board recommendations in its January 2017 safety and health audit, including a requirement to undertake COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) assessments for chemical products on sale as well as additional risk assessments, the court was told.
In sentencing, the judge considered the company's £9.2m turnover, no previous convictions, remedial action and an early guilty plea.
Earlier this month it was announced that Perrywood acquired Wyevale's garden centre in Sudbury, Suffolk.
A waste operative for B&W Waste Management Services sustained third-degree burns when he was engulfed in a fireball created when a spark from a forklift truck ignited a cloud of gas from the canisters. He was put in a medically-induced coma for ten days on a life-support machine, has undergone several operations, and relies on medication for nerve pain. The forklift driver was also burned.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found Willmott Partnership Homes, a subsidiary of the Willmott Dixon construction group, had failed to isolate live boilers in Hamilton House in Wolverton, Buckinghamshire when it carried out remedial works on the flats in December 2014.During the demolition and reconstruction of an external wall, the principal contractor removed the live flues of gas boilers, which were damaged and blocked, exposing residents to a CO poisoning risk.
New guidance from the UK’s trade union body says that, by replacing workplace diesel-fuelled vehicles with ones that are powered by compressed natural gas or electricity, bosses can prevent exposure for drivers, seafarers, mechanics, construction and railway workers, and those who work underground and in warehouses.
The Health and Safety Authority in the Republic of Ireland and the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) are launching the campaign today, which will include a special focus on the risks of work on fragile roofs.Many agriculture buildings use fragile roofing materials that cannot support a person’s weight. The Irish regulators have found that serious and fatal falls often occur when farmers are repairing storm-damaged buildings.
During October inspectors will visit construction sites where the HSE has identified probable respiratory risks. The HSE told IOSH Magazine inspectors would be looking for evidence that construction workers know the risks, are conscious that their work may create hazardous dust and have considered how the work could affect their health and those around them.The HSE said the sites and the activities targeted will be decided at a regional, operational, level. The findings will be reported on later this year.
A Bristol City Council investigation into the incident, which took place on 21 November 2016, found that there were no guards on the fan nor on eight others on the roof. The designer and seller of ready-to-assemble furniture had failed also to risk assess maintenance or fault-finding work. IKEA also failed to provide the engineer with safety training to carry out the checks.
A Belfast-based Risk & Compliance software provider has been collaborating with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and construction giant Costain as part of an ongoing project to unlock artificial intelligence’s (AI) potential in improving the management of risks on worksites.
The tragic death of four-year-old Harry Lee on his family farm in Newchurch-in-Pendle has led to IOSH, the Health and Safety Executive, and Harry’s own family to call for a renewed focus on children’s safety in agricultural settings.
Lee Bennett is a health and safety manager at British Land, which owns more than 50 shopping centres and retail parks across the UK. He tells us how he has bene planning for one of the busiest shopping days of the year.
A SCUBA equipment supply company has been fined £9,300 and ordered to pay £11,000 costs after providing a diving school with contaminated air that led to children being taken so ill during a training session that one ended up in an induced coma.
A recent IOSH magazine webinar reflected on COSHH ill-health statistics in the manufacturing industry. With almost 3,000 viewers, lots of questions were asked. Here we answer some of those we didn't get to.
A director who had installed a cryotherapy chamber was unfairly dismissed, a tribunal has ruled, because the technical director and principal health and safety officer at the business failed to raise concerns about the work undertaken.
Research published by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has identified some weaknesses in the control measures at a number of ports and distribution centres in relation to workers coming into contact with hazardous substances when examining or unloading freight containers.