CO poisoning killed worker on London construction site
Thursday 27th October 2016
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
An employee of Non Destructive Testing Services was carrying out pile testing at a construction site in Brixton, London on 29 May 2012, Southwark Crown Court was told.
The worker was inside an accommodation unit fitted to a vehicle when he was overcome by carbon monoxide fumes from one of the unit's gas appliances and died.
The Health and Safety Executive's (HSE) investigation found the unit's ventilation was inadequate. There were two gas appliances in the cabin, with pipework and gas cylinders that that been there for several years.
It said the company, which offers pile integrity, dynamic load and static load testing, had not planned how the welfare unit would be equipped when deciding to fit it to the vehicle and had failed to suitably and sufficiently inspect the cabin over a long period.
Non Destructive Testing Services pleaded guilty to breaching s 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act. It was fined £70,000 and ordered to pay costs of £45,944.
HSE inspector Darren Alldis said: "[The] unit should never have been set up in this way and posed a risk throughout the whole time it was being used."
Norwich Crown Court was told that contract farming company L F Papworth and T W Page & Son, a water supply engineer that serves Norfolk and Suffolk, were working in the Norfolk village of Felmingham, drilling boreholes for crop irrigation. T. W. Page employee Jonathan Howes was operating the controls of a lorry-mounted drilling rig on 29 April 2014. His co-worker moved the lorry and this caused the drilling rig’s mast to strike an 11kV overhead power line.
The Virginia Department of Labor and Industry said that its Virginia Occupational Safety and Health (VOSH) programme cited four “wilful” and 115 “serious” violations and $1,012,400 in penalties to the multinational tyre manufacturer earlier this month as a result of comprehensive site inspections. Four workers have died in accidents at the plant since August last year.
A mechanic sustained injuries to his thigh when he was attacked by the dog in January 2014. When the HSE visited the garage, it uncovered various offences, including spray painting without appropriate control measures to prevent workers and members of the public from breathing in hazardous chemicals, an unsafe vehicle lift, and a lack of adequate welfare facilities. The HSE had previously taken enforcement action against the garage’s owner, Mehmet Salih, in relation to these offences.
The plant mechanic, employed by Countrystyle Recycling, was fixing the shredder on 7 October 2013. A metal plate forming the roof of the hammer drum – in which waste material is smashed into smaller pieces by hammers – had become detached. Maidstone Magistrates’ Court heard the employee was kneeling on a conveyor belt inside the shredder when it restarted. He was thrown from the machine, fracturing his right leg and left arm.
The Welsh village of Aberfan, in the Taff Valley near Merthyr Tydfil, was engulfed in more than 40,000 cu m of mine waste. The waste, mud, rock and coal from the Merthyr colliery, operated by the National Coal Board (NCB), had been dumped in seven mountainous tips, known as slag heaps, on the lower slopes of the mountain behind the village.
Southwark Crown Court was told that a carpenter and a steel fixer had been standing on the wooden platform above a stairwell opening on the ninth floor of a building. The platform collapsed and they fell approximately 16 m on to a part-built concrete staircase.The carpenter died of his injuries. The steel fixer was severely hurt and could not return to work for three years.