This one-day event takes place on February 7th at the Radisson Blu Hotel, London Stansted and is entirely free to attend for 65 senior health & safety professionals.The format of the event is unlike any traditional expo or conference. You will be matched for a series of face-to-face meetings with suppliers who can help your requirements – no hard sell and no time wasted.In addition, you can attend a series of insightful and inspirational seminar sessions, with topics including:
Two London Borough of Brent social workers visited the child’s home on 21 July 2015 to carry out a safety plan assessment when the incident happened. As they were taking notes, the mother struck both social workers over the head with a metal object. One of the workers was knocked temporarily unconscious and later diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. Both received serious wounds to the head.
A routine inspection of the premises, carried out by two Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspectors in September 2015, found a catalogue of safety failures.Luton Magistrates’ Court was told that Plasterboard Recycling Solutions had failed to control exposure to plasterboard dust, which had coated floors, walls, ledges and machinery at the site. A follow-up occupational hygiene survey found the concentration of dust exceeded workplace exposure limits.
One of the key aims of the new Thomas Ashton Institute (www.ashtoninstitute.ac.uk), due to be launched formally in in April 2018, will be to make the lessons learned from four decades of incident investigations and research more accessible to industry. The partners say they hope the institute’s work will help to make sure mistakes are not repeated as new technologies and industries are developed.
The patients, aged between 72 and 92, sustained fatal injuries after falling while in the care of hospitals run by the trust. Four fell at the Princess Royal Hospital in Telford; the fifth died of injuries at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. The deaths took place between June 2011 and November 2012.The HSE found a lack of close supervision of those in a confused mental state. Investigating officers found poor communication about the measures to stop frail patients falling had made the situation worse.
Add to this, the further risk to site visitors and members of the public and the range of vehicles that could be involved, such as cars, vans, lorries, low-loaders, and mobile plant such as excavators, dumpers, lift-trucks and such statistics increase considerably. What makes the situation worse is the fact that many such accidents could be prevented through effective management of construction vehicles and transport operations on site.Duty of care
The worker was removing a piece of industrial equipment at a site in Wallsend in North Tyneside, Tyne and Wear. He had been contracted by Green North East Trading Bidco (GNETB), which traded as Impetus Waste Management.On 20 March 2016 he cut through an electric cable to a fan, which he believed had been isolated because the company had told him it was safe for him to carry out the job, South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court was told. He suffered an electric shock and needed hospital treatment. He has since made a full recovery.
For people wishing to pursue a career in the industry, NEBOSH qualifications provide students with a viable alternative to university or as complementary study to vocational routes such as apprenticeships; 90% of job advertisements* for safety, health and environmental (SHE) roles ask for one or more NEBOSH qualifications.
M&W Tarmacadam Contractors employee Darren Mundell was standing on the bonnet of a paver to cut overhanging branches at the Arkleton Estate in Langholm on 7 November 2016. He lost his balance and fell into a tar hopper, Dumfries Sheriff Court was told.Mundell sustained a spinal fracture and a damaged spinal cord which caused permanent paralysis from the waist down.The Health and Safety Executive said the bonnet was not a safe place to work.
Mark Goodge had been using an emery cloth to clean by hand steel shafts on the lathe at Marcantonio Foods’ factory in Barking, Westminster Magistrates’ Court was told.Goodge’s gloves became entangled in the lathe and his lost four fingers on his right hand, broke several bones in his left arm and sustained a dislocated wrist.The Health and Safety Executive’s (HSE) investigation found Marcantonio had no safe system of work for cleaning the metal shafts.