Global brewing giant Carlsberg has been fined £3 million after a contractor died and another was seriously injured following an ammonia gas leak at one of its breweries. We speak to HSE Principal Inspector Samantha Wells about the case.
Three senior managers at a food waste recycling plant in Leicestershire have been handed prison sentences for gross negligence that resulted in two workers being overcome by toxic fumes and drowning in a road haulage tanker containing pig feed. The Newark-based family-owned and run business, which is being liquidated, has been fined £2m. We spoke to the HSE’s Principal Inspector to get the full story.
Railway infrastructure contractor VolkerRail Ltd has been fined £550,000 after a trench collapsed onto a railway worker, causing life-changing injuries and resulting in him being placed in a medically-induced coma. We spoke to Simon Barber, HM Inspector of Railways at the Office of Road and Rail (ORR), about what happened.
A product surveillance study of telescopic leaning ladders sold online and in-store has found that 80% of the work at height equipment tested failed the required safety tests designed to keep users safe.