The death of an engineer who was fatally crushed when a 20-tonne piston fell on him would not have happened had an adequate risk assessment been carried out beforehand, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector who investigated the case has told IOSH magazine.
An award-winning engineer and a former head of safety at John Lewis discuss the dangers of making assumptions about the causes of escalator accidents, and how best to encourage safe behaviour among members of the public.
Food manufacturer Bakkavor has been fined £130,000 after one of its employees suffered two broken ribs having been crushed within an industrial cooking machine while attempting to clear a blocked water inlet.
How can businesses enable agile working when procuring electrical and ergonomic home office equipment? Stephen Roberts, a specialist in workstation power, connectivity and ergonomics, discusses the duty of care to remote-working employees.
When a couple of partners at Herbert Parkinson, the John Lewis textiles factory in Lancashire, approached branch safety advisor Rachael Murray to show her their bleeding fingers – the result of inserting hundreds of metal pin hooks into curtain headers by hand each week – she was not only shocked, but determined to do something about it.