From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Josephine Millard, 91, was found dead next to her bed on 24 September 2013. The charges were brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which found Bupa Care Homes (CFC Homes) failed to review bedrail arrangements, and did not train staff how to appropriately assess and safely use them.
Following an earlier guilty plea at Carlisle Magistrates' Court, the district judge referred the case to Carlisle Crown Court for sentencing. It heard that the company's bedrail management policy was not fully implemented because staff were not trained and assessments not conducted or reviewed when required.
The reviews of the bedrail assessment should have identified further measures to prevent the risk of falls, however staff carrying out the initial assessment and reviews were not adequately trained. Measures identified to protect the victim were not correctly implemented and increased checks on her were not carried out, despite recommendations from a medical professional.
Bupa Care Homes (CFC Homes) pleaded guilty to breaching Sections 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act and Regulation 9 of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations, which requires employees using work equipment to have received training. It was fined and ordered to pay more than £15,200 in costs.
After the hearing, HSE inspector Carol Forster said: "In this case there was a lack of appropriate assessment of the residents' changing needs and review of the control measures in place to protect her. The measures that were in place were not used correctly in that the sensor pad which would have alerted staff to the resident's being out of the bed was not switched on."
The employee sustained burns to his chest and legs on 12 October 2013 when he opened a faulty valve which emitted high pressure steam. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that SPG was aware of the fault but failed to ensure appropriate steps were taken to either repair the valve or take it out of use. SPG was fined £1.75m after pleading guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act.
The Nick Brookes Recycling employee was working on an infeed conveyor which transfers waste brought by skip wagons onto a picking line. On 8 August 2013 he was dragged into the conveyor and his right arm had to be amputated up to his shoulder. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told Chester Crown Court that the conveyor belt was in extremely poor condition, jammed frequently, and was not guarded. Workers were not sufficiently informed, trained or supervised.
As we reported two weeks ago, on 21 August 2014 the 34-year-old employee was working on the Line 2 bypass conveyor (L2BC) which carried potatoes, when he decided to check a bearing that had previously collapsed and damaged the head roller.He climbed on to some scaffolding that was erected ahead of the roller’s replacement. He leaned down and around to look at the bearing when his right arm was dragged in to the conveyor belt, causing a traumatic near-amputation.
The Haydens Bakery worker’s ring finger required partial amputation after the 3 March 2015 accident. The Health and Safety Executive found that the company had modified the machine by adding a securing clip to a rotating shaft but failed to identify and address the additional risk created.
On 20 December 2014, Muhammed Zohaib Yasin was observing another employee carrying out repair work on a Vauxhall Corsa.Yasin was at the front of the car adding antifreeze to the engine, when the mechanic he was working with opened the driver’s door and turned on the ignition. The vehicle shot forward trapping and crushing the 27-year-old.An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the car had no defects but it had been left in gear with the handbrake off.
Participating members - the national standards bodies elected to work on the development of the draft international standard (DIS) - were balloted between 12 February and 12 May on whether to approve it.Seventy-one per cent voted in favour, with 28% against (1% abstained). For the DIS to have passed, two-thirds of members had to be in favour and less than a quarter against, taking into account abstentions.