The Nick Brookes Recycling employee was working on an infeed conveyor which transfers waste brought by skip wagons onto a picking line. On 8 August 2013 he was dragged into the conveyor and his right arm had to be amputated up to his shoulder. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) told Chester Crown Court that the conveyor belt was in extremely poor condition, jammed frequently, and was not guarded. Workers were not sufficiently informed, trained or supervised.
The employee sustained burns to his chest and legs on 12 October 2013 when he opened a faulty valve which emitted high pressure steam. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that SPG was aware of the fault but failed to ensure appropriate steps were taken to either repair the valve or take it out of use. SPG was fined £1.75m after pleading guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act.
As we reported last week the employee was attempting to close the drain valve at Longannet Power Station in Alloa, when it opened unexpectedly, releasing high-pressure steam. He sustained burns to his chest and legs.The HSE found that though SPG was aware of the fault, it failed to ensure appropriate steps were taken to either repair the valve or take it out of use.
Between April 2014 and July 2015 there were seven reported cases of hand-arm vibration syndrome (HAVS) or carpal tunnel syndrome at Asset International. The company had not carried out a sufficient risk assessment or health surveillance, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found.
The company’s main activity involved injecting natural gas into depleted underground oil reservoirs for storage. On 26 February 2014, during a maintenance operation, around 145 kg of natural gas was released into the atmosphere, along with some crude oil that spilled on to the concrete process area. The two employees who were carrying out the maintenance work were unharmed, however they were exposed to a risk of fire and explosion as the release formed a flammable gas cloud.
Teesside Crown Court heard how the two BT Openreach engineers were working at the company’s Darlington Automatic Telephone Exchange. One of the engineers was installing a cable in a ceiling level cable tray to the main distribution frame – which connects equipment to cables – on the ground floor. The engineer was standing on a stepladder reaching up to the cable tray which ran beside the lighting system. He fell off the ladder and was taken to hospital with serious head and back injuries.