Home » News
News

Teen chef had no training before deep fat fryer fall

A Michelin-starred pub in Kenilworth, Warwickshire, has been fined after a teenage apprentice was scalded by cooking oil while he was cleaning part of the kitchen’s extractor fan.

Teen chef had no training before deep fat fryer fall
A body camera picture of the canopy
Teen chef had no training before deep fat fryer fall
The apprentice's foot slipped into a deep fat fryer

The 3 A Pub Company, trading as The Cross, pleaded guilty to breaching s 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act and has been fined £25,200 plus £5,900 costs. 

Environmental health officers from Warwick District Council found that the 18 year old had not received any safety training, information or instruction, despite having worked as an apprentice chef at the restaurant for more than a year. 

He had not been provided with the findings of risk assessments relating to work at height, use of fryers and contact with heat sources. 

Last August the apprentice was cleaning the extraction canopy using “long-established cleaning methods” when his foot slipped into a deep fat fryer that was switched on and operating at around 180°C. 

He sustained severe injuries and required months of medical treatment, Coventry Magistrates’ Court was told. 

Speaking to Kenilworth Weekly News, the pub’s owner Andreas Antona said: “We employed specialist health and safety consultants prior to the accident to advise on these matters and following the incident we employed a further health and safety consultant to review our health and safety management system. The recommendations made following that review have been implemented.

“We are considering our position regarding an appeal as we feel the level of the fine to be unduly high.” 

 

 

Keeley Downey is acting deputy editor of IOSH Magazine. She is a former editor of Biofuels International, Bioenergy Insight and Tank Cleaning Magazine

Add new comment