As we previously reported, the employee was engulfed in high-temperature steam while inspecting a faulty drain valve at the now decommissioned power station. He sustained severe burns to his chest and legs and was unable to return to work.
At Dunfermline Sherriff Court on May 31 this year it was shown that ScottishPower Generation (SPG) was aware of the defective valve, but failed to either repair the fault or replace the equipment.
Sheriff Charles MacNair handed down the £1.75m fine after SPG pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act (HSW Act). The amount was originally set at £2.5m, however SPG submitted an early guilty plea, securing a one-third discount.
ScottishPower has filed an appeal with the High Court of Justiciary, Scotland’s supreme criminal court.
A spokesperson for the generator said: "We fully accept responsibility for the incident and cooperated fully with the HSE investigation, implementing immediate changes to our procedures at Longannet.
"We also apologised unreservedly to Mr Roscoe for the distress caused by this accident, and we provided assistance following the incident.”