Home » News
News

£1.75m fine for ScottishPower for neglecting faulty valve

A plant controller working for energy firm ScottishPower Generation (SPG) was seriously scalded at Longannet Power Station in Alloa, Dunfermline Sheriff Court has heard. 

Image credit: ©Deadline News/REX/Shutterstock
Image credit: ©Deadline News/REX/Shutterstock

The employee sustained burns to his chest and legs on 12 October 2013 when he opened a faulty valve which emitted high pressure steam. 
 
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that SPG was aware of the fault but failed to ensure appropriate steps were taken to either repair the valve or take it out of use. 
 
SPG was fined £1.75m after pleading guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act. 
 
“This case has highlighted the importance for every employer of ensuring that systems are in place for maintaining work equipment in a safe condition, efficient working order and in good repair,” HSE inspector Fiona MacNeill said after the hearing. 

 

Keeley Downey is acting deputy editor of IOSH Magazine. She is a former editor of Biofuels International, Bioenergy Insight and Tank Cleaning Magazine

Add new comment