Plastic injection moulder had no SSoW for clearing blockages
A north Wales injection moulding company has been fined £150,000 after a worker sustained serious burns and multiple fractures to his heel.
The employee was trying to clear a blockage on a plastic injection moulding machine when the incident happened on 20 December 2016. The severity of his injuries caused him to miss three months off work.
The Health and Safety Executive found that Brother Industries (UK) had no safe system of work for clearing a blockage on its machines.
The company, which is based on the Vauxhall Industrial Estate in Ruabon, Wrexham, Wales, pleaded guilty to breaching s 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act at Wrexham Magistrates’ Court on 6 June. Brother Industries must also pay £7,660 in costs.
Nick Warburton is deputy editor of IOSH Magazine