Home » News
News

HSE prosecutes police force over electric shock

South Wales Police has been ordered to pay almost £95,000 in fines and costs after an employee sustained burns when he received an electric shock while installing computer data cables.

Image credit | iStock

On 16 October 2015, at Bridgend Police Station, a 48-year-old civilian employee sustained damage to his heart muscles when he came into contact with an exposed end of a live 3-core electrical cable which had been left in a ceiling void.

Cardiff Magistrates’ Court was told the force had failed to ensure the electrical system was safe and that the ceiling void was a safe place of work.

South Wales Police Headquarters was found guilty of breaching s 2(2) of the Health and Safety at Work Act, and was fined £64,000 plus £29,449 in costs.

“This incident could so easily have been avoided by simply carrying out correct control measures and safe working practices." said Neil Craig, the HSE’s head of operations, after the hearing.

“Police forces have the same duties under health and safety legislation as any other employer. It was appropriate for HSE to bring this matter before the courts given the avoidable, life-changing injuries suffered by their employee.”

 

 

Kellie is a freelance writer and former online editor of the Health and Safety at Work website.

Comments

  • I read this topic with i

    Permalink Submitted by LAWRENCE CACHIA on 13 February 2020 - 12:49 pm

    I read this topic with interest, since , I had the impression that the Police force and the army/navy had high jurisdiction on HSE re such issues. 'HSE prosecutes police force over electric shock'

    reply

Add new comment