Falcon fined £750,000 ten years on from Battersea collapse

Falcon Crane Hire has been sentenced for safety failings a decade after a London tower crane collapse that killed two people.

The jib fell 50 m at the Barratt Homes site
The jib fell 50 m at the Barratt Homes site | Image credit: ©Evening Standard/REX/Shutterstock

The collapse happened in 2006 at a Barratt Homes development in Battersea. Crane driver Jonathan Cloke was in the cab as the jib fell 50 m on to Michael Alexa, a member of the public who was washing his car in a street beside the site. Both men died.

Southwark Crown Court was told sections of the tower crane separated when 24 bolts failed due to metal fatigue.

The bolts were on the crane’s slew ring, which connected the mast to the slew turret, allowing the arms of the jib to rotate 360 degrees. When the bolts failed the slew turret and jib separated from the mast and fell off.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found Falcon Crane Hire had not learned from a similar incident nine weeks earlier, when four slew ring bolts sheered on the same crane and all the bolts were replaced.

The HSE found the company had an inadequate system to manage inspection and maintenance of its crane fleet. Its process to investigate the underlying cause of components’ failings was also lacking. The court heard the bolts’ previous failure was an exceptional and significant occurrence, which should have triggered an investigation by Falcon.

Another Falcon tower crane collapsed in Liverpool four months after the Battersea accident, killing one person. The HSE subsequently issued the company with a prohibition notice requiring it to take 180 cranes out of service until they had been independently examined.

Falcon Crane Hire was fined £750,000 and ordered to pay costs of £100,000 for breaching Sections 2(1) and 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act.

When the company was formally arraigned in February 2015 the GMB trade union’s national health and safety officer John McClean said the 10-year delay before trial was “an outrage and completely unacceptable”.

Louis Wustemann is editor, IOSH Magazine. He was previously editor of Health and Safety at Work magazine and Environment in Business. He has written, edited and consulted on health and safety, environmental and employment matters for more than 25 years.


Surely this piece deserves a far more in depth analysis? Firstly, why it took ten years?

We are working on it Scott and will get something up soon.

They obviously haven't learnt a thing as another tower crane belonging to falcon has again caused fatalities. They need to be investigated more thoroughly because they are not getting punished for their crimes. Their safety protocol is obviously not good enough

Their inspection regime obviously is not fit for purpose

Add new comment