From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Steven Brown, 61, was working on Eastgate Street when he dug into a concrete box that shielded a live 11,000v cable, Gloucester Crown Court was told. He received an electric shock and his clothes caught fire. He sustained burns to his face, chest, arms, hands, legs and stomach.
Gloucestershire Live reported that Brown was employed by Richens, Gloucestershire County Council's highway contractor, which Amey had asked to carry out the work.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Amey had failed to provide the workers with enough information on the location of underground services in the area. Its supervision of the work was inadequate, the executive said.
Amey pleaded guilty to breaching reg 25(4) of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015, which states that construction work must not be carried out near an underground service until steps have been taken to mitigate the risks.
The company was fined £600,000 and ordered to pay costs of £15,498.
After the hearing, HSE inspector Helena Tinton said: "This man suffered life changing injuries as a result of this incident. He's not been able to return to work, he still can't use his hands properly and has been left both physically and mentally scarred by what happened."
Amey's website states: "Injuries are not inevitable, harm is not acceptable and risks are ours to manage. Keeping people safe, every day is the absolute minimum standard we will accept and we must all behave in the right way to sure it happens."
Steven Brown, 61, was working on Eastgate Street as part of a gang of four subcontractors employed by Gloucestershire County Council’s highway contractor Richens. They had been recruited by Amey to replace traffic lights and update traffic control systems. In May 2015, Brown was removing the bottom of a concrete service box with a hand-held breaker machine to lay a cable duct. He hit a live 11,000v cable that was under the box and received an electric shock. His clothing caught fire and he sustained serious burns to his face, chest, arms, hands, legs and stomach.
Basildon Magistrates’ Court heard last week that the HSE was forced to issue the firm with four prohibition notices and three improvement notices after a visit to its St John’s Way site in Corringham, Essex in 2016 where it is the principal contractor for the development of a public house and 24 flats.
Work was underway to decommission the lift shaft in a building that was being converted into luxury apartments, Southwark Crown Court was told. In January 2011 the victims were working on top of the lift car when the chain that was supporting it broke. It plummeted six storeys to the bottom. One of the labourers, who was wearing a harness attached to the top of the lift car, fell in the space between the car and the shaft and survived with serious injuries. The other worker was not wearing a harness and died instantly.
The employee was working near a trailer on 30 June 2015 as large concrete blocks were being unloaded in the yard of Buchan Concrete Solutions’ Drakelow site in Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire when the incident happened.As the worker was removing wooden struts that the blocks rested on, one of them slipped off a forklift truck and fell on to him. The worker received severe crush injuries to one of his legs, which later had to be amputated below the shin.