Exposure to respiratory hazards, such as dust, mist, fume and gases, continue to be a major concern on construction sites.
The HSE reports that 13,000 deaths a year are estimated to be linked to past exposure at work, primarily to chemicals or dust. 12,000 deaths are also caused by occupational lung diseases, primarily Mesothelioma, Lung Cancer and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). All of these potentially life-threatening conditions are preventable, if as an industry, we work together to protect the respiratory health of those on site.
Following the hugely successful Action on Respiratory Health Summit, which took place in February 2021, construction industry leaders are joining forces again. RVT Group are pleased to announce that they are working with The Health in Construction Leadership Group (HCLG), the Construction Dust Partnership, the British Occupational Hygiene Society (BOHS) and the British Lung Foundation to launch the second Action on Respiratory Health Summit.
The first event proved highly popular with 500 UK construction industry professionals registering online to attend. The event featured best practice information and advice from a range of Health and Safety professionals, including a lively panel discussion hosted by Colin Nottage (Chair of Construction Dust Partnership) and a hard-hitting keynote speech from Professor David Fishwick, Consultant Respiratory Physician and Chief Medical Advisor to the HSE. We hope to build on this event by providing more case studies and solutions from contractors and consultants at our upcoming event on 20th July 2021.
What to Expect This Time
- Julian Hayward, Director at RVT Group, will welcome attendees and introduce the event.
- Clive Johnson will be representing the Health in Construction Leadership Group (HCLG) and will be giving us a run through of what support we can expect from the newly formed Respiratory Health Working Group.
- Kevin Dupont, RVT Group, will be talking us through the hierarchy of control and offering examples of site solutions that capture, contain and control respiratory hazards on site. Product demonstrations and real-life case studies will also be shown on screen.
- Keith Prince (Laing O’Rourke) and Nick Wing (McGee Group) will be sharing their experiences on site and how they have overcome respiratory hazard challenges on past projects.
- Steve Perkins, Perkins Associates, will be sharing some of the challenges that he has come up against whilst supporting the M25 Highways project, and how the learnings can be transferred to the construction site.
- Furthermore, Kevin Bampton, CEO at BOHS, will be giving us a run-down of the new training resources available from BOHS, and Grace Rutland will be sharing some of the fabulous work done by the British Lung Foundation.
- Once again, our speakers will be invited to take part in a panel discussion, hosted by Colin Nottage of the Construction Dust Partnership, where they will be sharing their views on health hazard control and how the industry can move forward from where we are now.
When and Where is the Event?
The event is taking place on Tuesday 20 July 2021 from 11am-1pm. This will be an interactive online event hosted via Zoom.
How to Get a Ticket
This is a free event, but you must register online to reserve your place. The first 250 registrants will receive an exclusive event pack. For every verified registration, RVT Group will donate £2 to The British Lung Foundation. There are 1000 spaces available at this event.
This Event is Supported By
For more information, please call 0808 178 3286 or email us at [email protected].