A tool manufacturer in Scotland has been fined £100,000 after a worker was seriously injured by a radial arm drilling machine.
The saw operator's index finger was severed and his thumb deeply lacerated in the October 2018 incident.
Jedburgh Sheriff Court was told the employee was using the machine when his glove became entangled, resulting in the injuries.
The court heard the US-based firm failed to provide employees with appropriate training on the use of the drill and failed to carry out a suitable and sufficient risk assessment of the drill. This should have included informing employees not to wear gloves when using this type of machinery.
Investigators from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) issued two improvement notices and issued court proceedings.
LS Starrett Company admitted breaching section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act and was fined £100,000. Costs are not awarded in Scottish courts.