130 km/h component strike brings plastics maker £293k fine
Wednesday 5th December 2018
From the archive: Just so you know, this article is more than 3 years old.
Nylacast worker Tarsem Singh died of a heart attack in hospital on 16 April 2016, a day after he sustained the strike, which was the equivalent to the force of eight tonnes, The Leicester Mercury reported.
A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found that the 52-year-old employee was in the process of removing the plastic component from a casting machine when the incident happened at the firm's Thurmaston Boulevard site in Leicester.
The rod was secured in the machine by a pressurised piston, which should have been depressurised before the rod was removed. As Singh was removing the rod, it was forcibly ejected along with the machine's retaining end cap, striking him in the chest with significant force.
Leicester Magistrates' Court was told in July that Nylacast had failed to undertake a suitable and sufficient risk assessment of the long-length rod machine. The firm employs 125 people at the site, staffing a 24-hour operation.
The firm pleaded guilty to breaching reg 3 of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 and reg 12 of the Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998. In addition to the fine, Nylacast must also pay £10,206 costs.
District Judge Daber, who was sentencing at Northampton Magistrates' Court on 3 December, said: "There was no engineering measure which prevented the ejection of the end cap before pressure in the mould had been released.
"The failings in this case were not an isolated incident as the risk existed each time the machine was used. In this court's judgment, this was an accident waiting to happen."
A statement from the firm, Nylacast said it had co-operated with the HSE throughout the investigation and pleaded guilty at the first opportunity.
"Safety is always our number one priority, and as we do with any incident or observation, our practices and protocols have been and are continually reviewed to ensure the wellbeing of our colleagues," the firm said.
"Operational meetings, staff inductions, process development and training all begin with safety and have safety metrics and audits integrated within them."
Twenty-six-year-old Kevin Hoare was attempting to clear a blockage when the incident happened at a housing development on Cranbrook Road, Wimbledon on 13 February 2017. Hoare, who had only joined Anytime McDaids two months earlier, was not being supervised and had not been provided with adequate training.
The study published on 29 November by the European safety agency EU-OSHA suggests the growth in information and communications technology (ICT)-enabled applications could see workers having more autonomy and control over their work. However, it warns that these workers may not have the skills to manage their workloads in a safe and healthy way.
The incident happened at Whitechapel station in east London in the early hours of 4 June 2016 when Balfour Beatty Rail and LUL were working in a joint enterprise arrangement called Track Partnership renewing track on the Metropolitan Line. Track Partnership had scheduled weekend ballast replacement work at Liverpool Street and Aldgate East stations, using seven RRVs at each site. The 14 machines, which are used for lifting, digging and levelling track, moved in convoy from West Ham sidings to the stations.
The Office of Rail and Road (ORR) investigation found that both companies were aware of the risks associated with allowing workers to walk along the track in front of a RRV, which is used for lifting, digging or levelling track, but had failed to put a safe system of work in place before the incident happened in the early hours of 4 June 2016.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which launched an investigation into the incident at Walton Lifestyles in Walton-on-the-Naze in November 2016, identified a failure in the council's system for managing the risk of legionella. Colchester Magistrates' Court was told that the regular user of the centre's facilities, fell seriously ill and was taken to hospital where he remained for 18 days. He was diagnosed with Legionnaires' Disease, sepsis, pneumonia and chronic kidney failure.
Coopland & Son (Scarborough) failed to suppress airborne dust at its Eastfield bakery in Scarborough between April 2002 and April 2016. Two employees were diagnosed with occupational asthma while a third had developed symptoms. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found multiple failings in the company's management system for controlling dust, which consisted of three elements: a risk assessment document, air sampling to measure flour levels and a health surveillance regime.
A Belfast-based Risk & Compliance software provider has been collaborating with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and construction giant Costain as part of an ongoing project to unlock artificial intelligence’s (AI) potential in improving the management of risks on worksites.
In this webinar, we will take a closer look at what the new stats mean compared to previous years with a focus on the topics of chemical management, permit to work and EHS in the manufacturing industry. Book your free place now and earn CPD points, too.
IOSH magazine spoke to HSE inspector Bill Gilroy about a serious accident at a Nestlé factory in Newcastle – an almost carbon copy of a previous incident at another of the confectionary firm’s factories.
The US Department of Labor has presented an Ohio-based vehicle parts manufacturer on its ‘severe violator enforcement programme’ with a fine of $480,240 (approx. £373,000) after inspectors found it had continually exposed workers to multiple machine hazards
Chipboard manufacturer Norbord Europe Limited has been fined £2.15m after a four-week trial held at Perth Sheriff Court in Scotland found that a series of failings at its Cowie site in Stirlingshire in July 2016 had led to an employee’s death.